Renaming a Photo in iPhoto

Reaction score
When I download a photo from my camera to my iMac, the iMac gives the photograph a generic name. I have been trying to rename some of my photographs in iPhoto. (Very frustrating!) I have renamed them while in the 'information' window and I have renamed them by clicking on the name in the 'album' window but when I go to attach it to an email (for example) the old name is still on the photograph. How do you rename a photo and have it 'stick'?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Adding text is not a feature of iPhoto. You can add captions or text however using Preview (already on your machine). I suggest you make a copy of the original file right click to open and select open with(Preview). This will give you a chance to experiment without altering your original. You can also add arrows and resize the document. The latest Preview also allows you to open and restore versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
When I download a photo from my camera to my iMac, the iMac gives the photograph a generic name. I have been trying to rename some of my photographs in iPhoto. (Very frustrating!) I have renamed them while in the 'information' window and I have renamed them by clicking on the name in the 'album' window but when I go to attach it to an email (for example) the old name is still on the photograph. How do you rename a photo and have it 'stick'?

Surely the image name is created by the camera not by the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.