earphones for the ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 12-inch G4 1.55ghz 80g 512mb superdrive
what are your opinion/choices for your headsets?

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
w...b said:
what are your opinion/choices for your headsets?

thanks again

the ones that come with it, I think, are fine. They're small/portable, and they don't sound half bad. They're also now known as "iPod headphones" so everyone knows you have an iPod (good or bad depends how you see it).

Otherwise I also use a pair of Sony headphones that wrap around the back of my head. They're good and have some AWESOME bass, but it gets your ears irritated after a while.

The In-Ears sound AMAZINGLY good, but for me they're a pain to get in (yes I tried all the sizes) and gave me a headache after they were finally anchored in there. Not worth $40, but definately good.

In the end, stick to the earbuds.

B

Badger

I switch between the stock iPod ones (with Griffin's EarJams) and Sony EX51 in-ear model. The Sony is more comfortable over long periods but uses more power. The iPod ones use less power but without the EarJams they fall out. You might want to check the product ratings at www.ilounge.com. They have a whole section on earphones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
I use the Shure E4Cs - the are nothing short of amazing. They're expensive, but I think it's well worth the money. The highs and lows are like nothing I've ever heard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
IMO, the ones that come with the iPod are the best sounding earbuds I've ever used, trulky amazing. Also, they aren't uncomfortable and hurt your ears like most earbuds do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
^what he said^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Shure e3c

Again, expensive, but definitely worth it if you listen a lot in noisy areas (subway, tram, bus) whilst on the move!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what about headphones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Aptmunich said:
Shure e3c

Again, expensive, but definitely worth it if you listen a lot in noisy areas (subway, tram, bus) whilst on the move!

Wow! When you said expensive, I thought maybe $40 or $50... But $200... They must sound REAL **** good for that much.. I trust Shure, since I use their mics and wireless systems for playing bass, when I used to be in a band.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I use the standard iPod earphones with Griffin Ear Jams. Or they fall out while I am running in the Gym.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
You've got to be kidding me? The pack-in iPod ones? Those are pure ****.

As for replacements, it depends.
Do you want ear-muff style? If so, do you like them closed or open?

Or are you a fan of earbuds?

Do you like wrap-arounds (the kind that go around the back of your head like a par of unglasses with an elastic strap)?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i want the headphone style. im guessing the closed ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
w...b said:
i want the headphone style. im guessing the closed ones.

Hmm... what kind of price range are we looking at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
punkr0x0r said:
Wow! When you said expensive, I thought maybe $40 or $50... But $200... They must sound REAL **** good for that much.. I trust Shure, since I use their mics and wireless systems for playing bass, when I used to be in a band.
Hehe, yep they aren't cheap.

I actually got mine cheap though, and you can generally find them for around 120$ in the US.
They're basically designed to be in-ear monitors for musicians - but since the iPod crowd has jumped on them Shure has given them a more consumer-friendly styling.

I use them with my band a lot as well as with my iPod.

-------------------------------------------------
My personal headphone recommendations:

Ear-muff style:
-Koss Portapro (40$)
-Sennheiser PX200
-Grado SR-60 (70$)

Earbud style:
-Shure e2/e3/e4 (80/120/200$)
-Sennheiser MX 400 (20$)
-Sony EX51/71 (30/40$)

K

~Kat~

to_tough_to_die said:
You've got to be kidding me? The pack-in iPod ones? Those are pure ****.
I've had my iPod for a year or so and I've already got problems with the supplied ear buds. There's a volume difference that is very significant and once I adjust one the volume to make the weaker side better, it's too loud on the other and above a certain level, there's static. When it worked optimally, I was satisfied. I don't know if they've got other colors but mine got dirty fast and I only kept them in one place. I was very careful with my buds and they've already failed me. I have to get another pair and won't buy headphones for my own reasons. The Sony earbuds I got with my old CD player lasted a lot longer than the iPod earbuds which stinks huge donkey nuts IMAO.

Another problem is the extra base that most earbuds and headphones have. I hate that extra base......any extra base. I ought to be able to add it if I choose, not have it forced upon me thanks. All it does is give me a headache.

I have to go to an apple store to check for a new pair but I'm wondering if there's any variety. ??? I'm willing to pay a little bit more but not an arm and a leg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I have the Etymotic ER-4 in ears.
They are great, but it depends on whether you want to spend 300 bucks.
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
iLounge has a whole forum dedicated to headphones for the iPod as well as plenty of reviews.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.