Weird black bar in top left corner of browser.

Reaction score
For awhile now, even before I updated to Yosemite, I intermittently notice this weird black bar at the top left of my browser window. It's appearance is completely sporadic, and it goes away if I click it. Anyone?

10672420_910605403554_637735587577022335_n.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really haven't provided us with any info about your Mac but try this:

Take a screenshot of your desktop when the black bar appears at the top left as it's being shown in the photo you posted. Then view the screenshot with Preview and let us know if the black bar appears in the screenshot or not. And we'll go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
I see it in this screenshot, blocks the top part of the words in the toolbar(?) Have no idea how to remedy it though.

Reaction score
That's not a screenshot, that's a pic from a camera.
We need a screenshot so we can tell if it's a GFX card issue or something else.

OP
P
Reaction score

Take a screenshot of your desktop when the black bar appears at the top left as it's being shown in the photo you posted. Then view the screenshot with Preview and let us know if the black bar appears in the screenshot or not. And we'll go from there.

2011 Macbook Pro. Will do!

OP
P
Reaction score

Okay, finally noticed this issue again this morning. The black bar does NOT appear in a screenshot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, finally noticed this issue again this morning. The black bar does NOT appear in a screenshot.

That would indicate a problem with the LCD if the screenshot looks OK. It may even be a problem with the backlight. Your MBP uses LEDs for backlighting which are usually very stable but they can on occasion fail.

OP
P
Reaction score
That would indicate a problem with the LCD if the screenshot looks OK. It may even be a problem with the backlight. Your MBP uses LEDs for backlighting which are usually very stable but they can on occasion fail.

Just something I have to live with, then? It's not a big deal, I suppose, and as a I said, it goes away if I click it. I just thought it was weird.

Reaction score
Wait, it goes away if you click it?
Does it only do it in Safari? Does it only do it on certain websites?
What extensions are you running?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you thinking something like Adblock Craig?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.