AirDrop: no 'Discovered' options

Reaction score
Hi experts,

I have a late 2011 13" MBP, which I just upgraded to Yosemite. I wanted to transfer file between my iPhone5 (iOS8.1) an my MBP using AirDrop, but I notice that when I open the finder and click on AirDrop, I don't see any options to being discovered (as attached) nor my iPhone device being detected (I have set the AirDrop to 'Everyone' on my iPhone). I never used AirDrop before, even on the previous version which is Maverick, so I could not say whether it was working then or not.

I've tried looking at system preferences to make sure whether I missed something, but could not find any. My MBP and iPhone is connected to the same Wi-Fi and both have bluetooth enabled.

I have a feeling that it might be something silly that I overlooked. Anybody experienced anything similar?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 8.08.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
you have to have the sync cable bluetooth and wifi on to transfer between the iPhone and yosemite and yosemite has been having issues with wifi so good luck wait for 10.10.1 it should correct all of this

M

MacInWin

I just tried to Airdrop a Keynote presentation from my iPhone with 8.1 to my MBP with Yosemite and they didn't find each other. I don't really have the time to pursue why, but they were both connected to the same WiFi and both had BT turned on, so it should have worked.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but wanted you to know you aren't alone.

OP
B
Reaction score
Upgrade my MBP to 10.10.1 and my iOS to 8.1.1.
Sadly, it is still the same, no options on my MBP AirDrop folder. Must be that the new AirDrop will never work with late 2011 MBP.. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have 10.10.1 on my 2013 MB Air and 8.1.1. on my iPhone 6+ and Retina iPad Mini. I can see everyone just fine. Now I have to figure out how to use it. I know it works.... one of the young pastors at my church air dropped me the song list this past Sunday. I have not had time to figure out how he did it yet.

I will try it on my MB Pro 2011 tomorrow. I didn't know there might be an issue. Actually since I don't really understand how it works yet that could be why I haven't checked it out.

Oh, wait! I just sent a picture from my iPhone to my MB Air!!!! It put it in downloads..who knew?

Lisa

Edit: I did set all the air drops to everyone instead of the default contacts only. Not sure if that helped but when I did they all showed up.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Lisa, my problem is that I don't see any options in my MBP AirDrop folder. On my IOS, it is already set to 'Everyone'.. Looking forward how it goes with your 2011 MBP.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Options??? Not sure what you mean. I just click on the AIr Drop folder in Finder on my MB Air and wait for my iPhone and iPad to "show up". When they do I can drag and drop stuff to the one I want to transfer to and it will pop a window that ask if I want to accept the item.

I do know if you want to have the devices show up they have to be "awake". if they are sleeping they will not.

I am not real proficient with it yet so hopefully someone else will chime in with more information.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2011 is at work. I will try Air Drop tomorrow on it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay reporting back. I did some research and according to Apple, air drop will not work between an iOS 8 device and a laptop earlier than 2012 even if it is running OS X 10.

In order to transfer files between a Mac and and an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, your iOS device needs iOS 7 or later installed and your Mac needs to be a 2012 or later model.

You can transfer files between two Mac computers but you need one of the Mac models listed below and OS X Lion or later.

MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)*
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)*
iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)
*The MacBook Pro (17-Inch Late 2008) and the white MacBook (Late 2008) do not support AirDrop.

bonds1972 - I did try it on my MB Pro early 2011 and I had the same screen you had show up when the only devices were iOS devices. When I tried it between my MB Pro 2011 and MB Air 2013 it worked but the 2011 took a while to see the 2013. I don't see this as being a good way to transfer files for the 2011.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update - I need to clarify what happens with air drop on an older computer.

In order to use it both have to have Finder open. AirDrop has to be selected on both. On my 2013 MB Air I have to select at the bottom "Don't see what your looking for?" A drop box appears with the selection" Search for an Older Mac" When I click on that they "see" each other. I open a second Finder window on both so I can drag and drop files. The files appear in my downloads folder.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Air Drop has always worked that way Lisa. I used it many times when I had my 2011 iMac and 2008 MacBook sitting on my desk. (No longer have either one.) I could send files to the MacBook from the iMac using Finder as you described.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm coming in here a bit late, and maybe a bit OT, but I found a much better method that I've been using for the last few days and it works with all our iMacs with SL 10.6.8 and Mav 10.9.5, (we don't bother with X 10.10 or iOS 8.x) and our iPads and that method is using BitTorrent Sync on all Macs and iPads.

It's probably going to replace most of our Dropbox and Google Drive shares. And it's super fast. AND private!!

More info via some sites. i.e.:
https://gigaom.com/2014/11/19/bittorrent-wants-to-take-on-airdrop-with-new-file-sharing-tool/

or the developers site:
http://www.getsync.com

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag - Hey, It is all new to me and the OP asked..... and at my age, it takes so little to amuse me. ;)

What the original issue was that the older Macs are not showing the "Don't see who you're looking for?" prompt where as my 2013 does which allows me to connect.

I am not aware how it was done prior to the 2012 models as this is my first time to use AirDrop. Remember I am an Apple Noobe only 17 months old. ;P

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah I forgot you only recently came over from the dark side. ;) Actually, you had to apply a hack to older hardware in order to get it to use Air Drop. The 2011 iMac was OK, but I had to hack the 2008 MacBook in order to use Air Drop. I don't even remember what the hack was but I think it was a simple terminal statement.

Did you fill up that monster iPhone yet? ;P I'm hoping Santa will send a couple of iPhone 6's our way around Xmas time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you fill up that monster iPhone yet? ;P I'm hoping Santa will send a couple of iPhone 6's our way around Xmas time.

Not even close to filling it up but I love it. But it is quick and very stable. Best part is the call quality is great. I was always adjusting the angle of my Note II against my ear when I talked to keep the voice clear - not sure it helped but I tried. I don't have that problem with my iPhone 6+.

Also battery life is fabulous. It has been off the charger for about 14 hours for today and I have used it heavily - several calls, read a book, answered mail, etc. I still have 94% on the battery. I also have found it does very well in a weak signal area. I was able to shop in my favorite grocery store and have a phone conversation without the call going in and out or dropping - which happened all time with the Note.

I better quit before I need to more this to another thread!!!! Hope Santa is very good to you this Christmas!

Lisa

Reaction score
Wrong airdrop will work on all macintoshes all you need is to go into terminal and type this in

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

works fine on my mac pro and even my unsupported installation on my other mac pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We already know that John, see my reply above to Lisa. I just forgot the terminal command that turns it on.

OP
B
Reaction score
bonds1972 - I did try it on my MB Pro early 2011 and I had the same screen you had show up when the only devices were iOS devices. When I tried it between my MB Pro 2011 and MB Air 2013 it worked but the 2011 took a while to see the 2013. I don't see this as being a good way to transfer files for the 2011.

Thanks Lisa. At least it is clear that AirDrop on my late 2011 MBP will not work with iOS devices.

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

The hack mentioned by chscag and johnnodd4 I believe is to show the AirDrop folder in finder. I guess my option is to replace my Airport card with the newer 2012+ model.

Tx, bonds1972

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply pm-r. When I read the article closely, it does seems that it won't work for late 2011 MBP.

In order to transfer files between a Mac and and an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, your iOS device needs iOS 7 or later installed and your Mac needs to be a 2012 or later model. To transfer files between two Mac computers, you need one of the Mac models listed below and OS X Lion or later.
  • MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)*
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)*
  • iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

If I understand it correctly:
  • AirDrop only works between Mac 2012 or later with iOS devices running version 7 or later.
  • AirDrop also works between Mac with at least late 2008 or later.

Thanks, bonds1972

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.