Upgrading RAM

T

Tu13erhead

Hi all,

I just got my Core Solo Mini a few days ago and I'm really impressed thus far. However, I'm finding I'm maxing out my RAM pretty much all the time so I'm craving a gig.

A couple questions:
Does anyone have a link to opening and replacing RAM on the new Intel Minis? Is it any different from the newer G4 Minis?
Also - which RAM do I want? I know it's DDR2 667, but there is PC5200, PC5300, and PC5400. Which does it take? And can I use any 512mb modules of that type?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Just keep in mind that opening the Intel Mac mini will void your warranty...
Unlike the G4 mini, it's not enough to open it, but you also need to remove the whole optical drive/HD assembly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Tu13erhead said:
Hi all,

I just got my Core Solo Mini a few days ago and I'm really impressed thus far. However, I'm finding I'm maxing out my RAM pretty much all the time so I'm craving a gig.

A couple questions:
Does anyone have a link to opening and replacing RAM on the new Intel Minis? Is it any different from the newer G4 Minis?
Also - which RAM do I want? I know it's DDR2 667, but there is PC5200, PC5300, and PC5400. Which does it take? And can I use any 512mb modules of that type?

Thanks!

I've had good luck with OWC (MacSales). They offer Intel Mini ram on their website:

http://www.macsales.com/

Click on Memory, then select the Mac Mini on the right, then the Core Solo and click the "Show Upgrades" button. Plenty of options to choose from. They even offer a matched pair of 1gb sodimms for $229 (total of 2 gigs), which is $70 cheaper than Apple offers them for. Memory installation videos are available here at the bottom left:

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/directory.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Avalon said:
Just keep in mind that opening the Intel Mac mini will void your warranty...
Unlike the G4 mini, it's not enough to open it, but you also need to remove the whole optical drive/HD assembly

Do you have a source about voiding the warranty? I cannot seem to find anything at Apple's Web site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.