forgot my password!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
If you have linked it to your apple ID you probably can do it. Worst case, call support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well do you mean Admin password, Apple ID password for accessing App Store etc., or hopefully not FileVault?

Depending on your operating system which you have not chosen to share with us, the first can be changed in System Preferences >Users & Groups > Password > Change Password

The second see this lingk from Apple, and the third big, big troubles.

http://support.apple.com/en-au/ht5787

OP
B
Reaction score
sorry, didn't think about which operating system. 10.9.5 mountain lion and it is the admin password and to reset that it says i need the old password

Reaction score
10.9.5 is Mountain Lion? And here I thought it was Mavericks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, confusing isn't it? I didn't know if he knew which operating system he had but it doesn't matter since the instructions for resetting his password are the same for ML or Mavericks.

OP
B
Reaction score
well I guess I didn't know which system, thought lion was the last update, sorry, anyway thanks for the help your link did the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Guys - I've seen that link before - so for a computer that is 'locked' (say in an office setting), can anyone simply boot into recovery mode, reset the password, and then get into the computer? Nice to have that feature for the owner of the machine, but is like an insecure 'back door'; and File Vault seems like a 'death sentence' if the password is forgotten? Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right Dave, it's not secure. I would never leave a computer in an insecure office or other location without assigning a firmware password to it. Just don't ever forget that firmware password!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.