Samsung smart tv and ITunes mp3/mp4 files don't play nice

Reaction score
I ripped my cd collection into iTunes as either mp3 or mp4 files. I've copied the files to an external usb hard drive and connected that drive to my tv. The drive mounts and the files are displayed but I get an 'invalid file format' (or similar) error when I try and play them.
My guess is that it's some kind of codec issue and wondered if anyone has ideas on how best to proceed. I've submitted the same question to Samsung so we'll see what happens.
TIA for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Maybe you've done this already, but I would look through the TV's user guide and see if there are specifications to file type and size for audio files. Since the TV can see the files, you know it isn't anything to do with the external drive, so it's possibly a formatting issue with the files themselves. I'd try that while you're waiting to hear back from Samsung.

OP
D
Reaction score
File types are listed as valid

Both MP4 and MP3 should play. The subtypes seem valid in addition to the extension (at least I think they all match; audio files are not my forte).

I have mp3 music that didn't go through an ITunes rip/convert and they're playing fine.

The manual is...brief...but does talk about DRM as an issue. If I were to guess, the codecs probably inject something Samsung doesn't like (like the word 'apple').

What I haven't tried is ripping one of the albums with something else like VLC and see how that works.

Jeez, all I want is to be able to play my music on any device I own. I paid for the **** cds...let me listen to them! OK, rant over...

Thanks for the quick reply.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.