iPhone 5S Password to unlock phone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2015 model/iMac 2014 - iMAC Sierra 10.12.5
I bought a new 5S this week (I know the 6 is out, but it was not in stock at Verizon & I needed a phone. Besides, it's my first smart phone. Have had a little Motorola basic thing).
Anyway, I want to put a passcode on for better privacy. The online manual for 5S says to go to Settings & then to General and then to Touch ID & Passcode (or to Passcode for models before the iPhone 5). I have NO such selection available under the General option in my Settings. There are many options to choose but not this one. This comes from page 36 in Chapter 3 (Basics) in the user guide for 5S.
Does anyone have any idea how I could get the 4 digit passcode put on?? Appreciate all advice and interest. ;)
Herman

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On my iPhone, I tap "settings", and then scroll on down to "Passcode". Tap "Passcode" and proceed from there. You do not have to go through "General" as far as I know.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2015 model/iMac 2014 - iMAC Sierra 10.12.5
Thank you. That worked. Mine said 'Touch ID and Passcode'. This just shows that the manual has errors in it. I now have both a thumbprint and a passcode protection procedure.
Herman

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.