Bombarded by pop-up ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black 2.2GHz 160GB HD 4GB RAM
At the behest of a friend who wanted to me to see a favorite movie of his from putlocker.is, I tried to download a viewer from that site. I've been beset by pop-ups ever since. They open in a new page on my Google Chrome browser. Now, when i try to execute a command on something I actually want, it automatically diverts to the new page for MacKeeper and God-knows-what-else. I've run both CleanMyMac and Avast in an attempt to exorcise this demon, all in vain. How do I rid myself of this scourge -- and how to I prevent a recurrence in future?

Thanks.

iMac 21-inch
2.5GHz Intel Core i5
OS X Yosemite 10.10

Reaction score
CleanMyMac and Avast were a waste of time. Uninstall them.
Look at your extensions for your browser and delete that viewer you downloaded. There's your problem.
Also download and run this" AdwareMedic
To prevent the re-occurrence don't download "viewers" or "codecs". they are not necessary, just delivery systems for malware.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CleanMyMac and Avast were a waste of time. Uninstall them.
Look at your extensions for your browser and delete that viewer you downloaded. There's your problem.
To prevent the re-occurrence don't download "viewers" or "codecs". they are not necessary, just delivery systems for malware.

Many thanks, Craig. Will try that.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adware Medic must be pretty good, because it looks as if whatever adware is infecting my machine is automatically blocking all my attempts to download it. It has hijacked the download link and rolls to a "http://adwarmedic/index.php" page which reads "This webpage is not availabe" [direct quote].The "details' link on this "page" provides no details. Somebody is stonewalling bigtime. Which makes it want to d/l AdwareMedic all the more. Suggestions, please.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Had the same problem. Adwaremedic sorted it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all, and especially Craig. Some of the best advice I've ever received on this forum. Pasting the URL directly into the address box did the trick and AdwareMedic did the rest. Problem solved. Will be on guard against this garbage from now on.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download and install:-

1. AdBlock Plus.

2. Ghostery.

3. AdWareMedic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.