Have been offered a Macbook Pro Retina for free, which one to take?

Reaction score
I've been out of the Macbook realm for a while and have used an iMac for years. A friend of mine is getting some of the new Mac Pro's and he has asked me if I'd like to take one of his Macbook Pro's as a gift as I've helped him out financially a few times when he was starting his business.

He has two different models and has offered to let me have either one:

A 13" i5 2.6Ghz Macbook Pro retina (late 2013) 8GB RAM

A 15" i7 2.3Ghz Macbook Pro Retina (Late 2013) 16RAM

Both have 512GB of Flash Storage.

My question is which one would be the better model? I like the idea of the larger screen but I've heard the 16GB of RAM can make it run hot. From a portability standpoint I wouldn't take it out too much except when I travel and have it in hotel rooms. I don't do any heavy video editing (outside of family stuff). I will watch movies on it when traveling and will do some photo stuff (nothing major just slide shows and stuff with family).

Does anyone have any recommendations here? This is a machine I'd like to keep for a while but want to make sure that I am getting one that I will be able to use for many years.

Both are in mint condition. I've examined both of them and they don't have a scratch on them. I know this is a first world problem but can anyone help guide me here? Thanks so much in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take the 15" model! And no, 16 GB of memory is not going to make it run hot. I don't know where you heard that but it's not true.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As long as you have no problem with the 15" size...it's pretty much a no-brainer to me...get the 15"!:)

As chscag mentioned...16gig of ram & overheating is a bunch of bullcrap!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.