simple forensic file problem

Reaction score
hi there,

i leant my laptop out and a few things i've been working on have changed, much to my dismay. so i would like to do some mild forensic work to figure out what happened to a couple dmg files.

basically i believe those files were manipulated, but ive already opened them since, so the metadata in "last modified" and "opened" now reflects my last use.

i want to find out if they were opened or modified while the laptop was leant out, as i suspect.

i gather the metadata only stores the last modification or open. is there a history of opens or modifications stored anywhere for files?

alternatively, is there a way to bring up a time-stamped history of disk image mounts?

open to buying apps to solve this problem as it is driving me nuts. but i understand that it may not be possible at all.

thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you lend out your Mac, don't expect that your privacy will be kept. There is no way to do what you wish unless you have a good friend who works for the NSA or FBI. If you must lend your Mac to someone, set it up so that they can only use the "Guest" account and not yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Never ever lend out your computer, your money or your spouse - in that order!

OP
S
Reaction score
heh yeah, i figured as much. well thanks, i thought i would check if anything was possible! good to be clear that it isnt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.