Yosemite won't finish installing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro mid2012 non retina, ssd, 13" Catalina10.15.7 iphone12Mini iOS14 iPad Pro 10.5 iOS14
MBP 500G HD 4G RAM 2012 Non Retina

I made a USB bootable drive with the latest version of Yosemite. Started the computer from the USB drive and used disc utility to erase the HD. Then clicked on install Yosemite. It gets all the way to the end with "about a second left" and stalls out. 5 minutes later it was still stuck on "about a second left".

Then I cancel the install, restore from an external HD and come on Mac-forums to see if someone can help.

I hope I didn't forget anything. I thought maybe the copy of Yosemite was corrupt so I made a new copy erasing and formatting the USB drive.

I really want to follow the suggestions made here about doing a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
By USB Drive, are you referring to a thumb drive?

Did you use LionDiskMaker to install Yosemite on the thumb drive? DiskMaker for Yosemite is a slightly different version to Mavericks.

http://liondiskmaker.com

M

MacInWin

Then I cancel the install, restore from an external HD and come on Mac-forums to see if someone can help.
Time estimates are notoriously inaccurate on all installations. Let it continue to install. The "about a second left" doesn't mean a "second" in real time, it's a second in some other dimension where time actually stands still.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro mid2012 non retina, ssd, 13" Catalina10.15.7 iphone12Mini iOS14 iPad Pro 10.5 iOS14
Time estimates are notoriously inaccurate on all installations. Let it continue to install. The "about a second left" doesn't mean a "second" in real time, it's a second in some other dimension where time actually stands still.

I did think that maybe I was premature. I'll try it again later tonight and let it "work" overnight and report back.

I made the thumb drive using terminal with commands that were copied and pasted from the internet specifically for Yosemite.

thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
My installation took about 20 minutes after the "one second remaining" appeared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I just finished a clean install of Yosemite and I exprerienced the same thing Bob_Stan said. Do not depend upon the indicator and have patience. More info here:

OS X Yosemite Installation Stuck with Minutes Remaining? Wait! | OSXDaily

I didn't have any problems with my upgrade, I just wanted to experience a clean install and Time Machine restore which I have never done. Everything worked beautifully.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, I remember thinking, "One second remaining, but I don't know which second that one is."

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SUCCESS
I'm up and running. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well chiss when you run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility, just ignore 'less than one minute' message!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.