Logic Board Problem/ Video Glitch/ GPU Pro on MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.4 15" Mid-2010

Reaction score
I recently, bought a second hand MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.4 15" Mid-2010 for personal use and some sort of Graphic Design Projects. But then, I came across some articles referring to the problems plaguing the Logic Board/ Kernel Panic.

At first I disregard the issue, since the Macbook Pro6,2 (current unit) show no issues regarding Kernel Panic. But then, the issue about the Kernel Panic came in when I was editing a large Jpeg file with the dimension of W : 60in x H : 36in in 75ppi. Applications that were running at that time was of course the Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator CS6, and just one web browser application which was Chrome.

When I was cropping the Jpeg file, the screen just went out and immediately restarted. That was when I realised it was the dreaded Kernel Panic.! :( After it restarted, I then just proceeded to what I was working on, which was the cropping of the Jpeg file. And It just worked again, without experiencing the Kernel Panic. I then researched the issue and encountered a forum which suggests, installing "gfxCardStatus."

The next day I went to an Apple Service Provider here in Cebu, Philippines and the technician tested/ diagnosed my Macbook Pro unit and advised that it should undergo a Logic Board Replacement. Which was a devastating advice that I have heard, considering that I just shelled out some amount of money from buying the second hand Macbook Pro.

Anyway, below are the symptoms currently in my Macbook Pro:

1. The Unexpected Restart (though not that often as of the moment).

2. A Video Glitch while switching from Fullscreen to normal mode screen while watching a video from VLC. I uploaded a video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZPQhrdTMI

3. Some sort of pixel dots after switching from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2 and vice versa.

Lastly, below are the details of my Macbook Pro:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f17
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

==============================================================

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 10
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0012
gMux Version: 1.9.21

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:

Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

I would like to be enlighten with the issue, will the Logic Board Replacement will be the solution or shall upgrading the RAM to its maximum capacity of 8Gb (currently, it has two (2) slots for 2Gb RAM)?

Thanks. yujin

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I recently, bought a second hand MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.4 15" Mid-2010 for personal use and some sort of Graphic Design Projects. But then, I came across some articles referring to the problems plaguing the Logic Board/ Kernel Panic.

That's correct. Your model MacBook Pro has been problematic in that the GPU (graphics processor) has a high failure rate. At one time Apple was replacing the logic board for free but that period of free replacement is over. The only cure is to replace the logic board which is an expensive repair. Even if you do replace the logic board, the same problem may occur after a while. It might be best to sell your MacBook Pro and get a different model, one that is stable.

OP
Y
Reaction score
@ chscag: Thanks for the sound advice. Oh well, it would be a gut wrenching decision that I will have to do.. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can go ahead and install the firmware update if you want, but it doesn't repair the problems you're having with the GPU.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.