Checkbook program

Reaction score
I have been using SEE Finance to keep track of my checkbook. I don't need other functions such as budgeting and investments. I delegted some files and probably have to type them back in, but I'm wondering if anyone can rfecommend a very simple checkbook program. I want to record checks, categorize them, search for names and dates, and create categorized reports for tax purposes. The Apple app store has one called MsFinance that seem to be what I need, but I'd like some knowledgeable opinions. <g>

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Stay away from all those fancy named programs as they're not worth the time and money. Only two programs are worth looking at in the Mac App Store if you want a simple checking program. (I own both of them.)

1. "Just Checking" by Just Apps Software

2. "Checkbook" (not the pro version) by Splasm Software

Of the two, I prefer "Just Checking" for its simple and easy to use design. Also has an excellent help file in case you need it. It costs $14.99 to register.

OP
S
Reaction score
As I said above: I want to record checks, categorize them, search for names and dates, and create categorized reports for tax purposes. I don't need budgeting and investments. It would be nice if the program could import from SEE (instructions say I can import QIF and CSV, but I haven't tried it). Do those two programs have all those features? App Store said that Checkbook sometimes crashes but I noticed that they have come out with Checkbook2.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Of the two programs I noted above, "Checkbook" ($14.99 in the App store) is probably best for your needs. You can download a trial version and test it before registering and paying for it. If it doesn't meet your expectations, remove it and look for something else. Also, I noticed you took 8 months to reply, so finding a checkbook program must not be a very high priority. ;D

OP
S
Reaction score
I probably asked about checkbook programs in November and then decided to continue with SEE. I'm now more frustrated with SEE and more serious about switching to a simpler program. I'll look at your suggestions again. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.