What to do about Apple Hardware Test error: 4SNS/1/40000000:VDOR-18.440

Reaction score
After getting spontaneous start-ups at random times, I ran apple hardware test, reset SCM (I think I did it right,) and PRAM. Wondering how to interpret the error code beyond "failed sensor" and if I have to go running off for service / get them to interpret my code? Does anyone in this forum know what the codes mean? The computer has been operational otherwise, but want to prevent imminent meltdown if the weird startup behavior is the beginning of the end my MacBook Pro, early 2011.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure what it means but it sounds like a heat sensor error. A heat sensor error would cause the machine to shut down and restart. Of course that could also be caused by a defective component causing overheating - with the sensor re-acting to it. Time to take it to the genius bar. Apple does not charge for diagnostics as long as you use the genius bar. Of course if your Mac is out of warranty any repairs will be charged accordingly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.