• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Diagnostic Cost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
How much is to be expected to cost for a diagnosis on a 2 year old iMac? (No, I don't have Apple Care.) I'm at the point where I am about to throw it out of the window because it is almost unusable due to incessant freezes, going on for a year now, hence the question.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sometimes they will do the diagnostic for free…but I think that it's kind of a gray-area. I've never had to pay one the many times I've been there.

From what I found others saying on the internet. The diagnostic part is usually free…you just have to pay for the repair if you decide to do it.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice, but I have only one iDevice, so not sure I'd get the gold treatment of someone with a history of buying many of their products. Oh well, I can always call, I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
How much is to be expected to cost for a diagnosis on a 2 year old iMac? (No, I don't have Apple Care.) I'm at the point where I am about to throw it out of the window because it is almost unusable due to incessant freezes, going on for a year now, hence the question.

Hello - my iMac is similar to yours but spring 2013 (same RAM & screen size) - why not provide some more specifics on your issues? For example, you're showing Mavericks 10.9.2 as the installed OS - have you gone to 10.9.5? Did your problems start after an OS X upgrade? Are the 'freezes' related to specific apps, internet connections, or a combination of activities? What have you tried to correct the issue, e.g. Onyx? Do you have any AV or 'cleaner' software installed (Mac Keeper is a constant culprit)? Also, check the status of your HD and look at the storage (is there enough empty space, like 15-20%)? Dave

P.S. I believe that you are also on the iPad Forums - if so, I'm 'giradman' there (w/ a different avatar).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, I'm not on any other Apple forum.

I've documented my problems here, I've done the "usual" (no MacKeeper, 400 G disc space, no AV and on and on). I do have Yosemite, but still freezes. One other irksome problem is it won't read storage devices (yes...turned on in Finder, but no show).

I have simply given up and accepted I have a lemon, but before I toss in the towel, I want a pro to look at it, that is, if it's worth it.

On a bright note, I've been home these past to days and on the iMac all day with NO freezes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
RadDave, I'm not on any other Apple forum.

I've documented my problems here, I've done the "usual" (no MacKeeper, 400 G disc space, no AV and on and on). I do have Yosemite, but still freezes. One other irksome problem is it won't read storage devices (yes...turned on in Finder, but no show).

I have simply given up and accepted I have a lemon, but before I toss in the towel, I want a pro to look at it, that is, if it's worth it.

On a bright note, I've been home these past to days and on the iMac all day with NO freezes.

Sorry for your continued problems - not sure that I can add much more to my comments and your explained attempts to improve the computer - I guess that a visit to an Apple store or another qualified Apple service is worth a try - likely not expensive for a 'diagnostic' assessment and an estimate?

And, I was sure that I saw your avatar on another iDevice forum but obviously was mistaken - my apologies - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The threads you posted dotdotdsot seem to be scattered about a little. However are you using a wireless keyboard and mouse? One of the biggest problems may well be the batteries. I purchased some Energizer Lithium Ultimates from what I thought was a reliable source.

Guess what? They were fakes and caused variable loss of BT connections, freezes, inability to type in forums and email forms and all sorts of weird asnd wonderful problems. Seems the power output from Chinese knockoffs can vary greatly after a few weeks, causing all sorts of keyboard and mice problems.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, wireless, what came with the iMac, on both counts.

I have good batteries in both, or I hope so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Very strange, I thought I posted a comment on this last night.

@ OP you haven't made multiple post on this topic have you?
I had a very helpful reply I don't see now.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I haven't made multiple posts about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
No I haven't made multiple posts about it.

O lord.. I prob set down in front of the PC again and fell a sleep reading a post and then posted my reply in my sleep again.. But in reality I was actually just snoring in my chair.. /sigh.. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
O lord.. I prob set down in front of the PC again and fell a sleep reading a post and then posted my reply in my sleep again..

We await your wisdom with bated breath (snoring) ... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Called 'The Onset of Old Timers' Exodist!!!

And dotdotdot never ever trust the 100% message about batteries in System Preferences. Got problems change them and see what happens.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I removed the added RAM, which I bought from a recommended vendor on here about when it was new, and the freezes have abated, even under heavy video streaming for hours. So I guess I had defective RAM (maybe?), but what are the odds of that happening, slim to none? Yes, they were perfectly seated, and the RAM was an exact match, so it's not a case of user error. Also - it's just as fast as with 8 Gs running now as with the factory 4 Gs.

If I ever buy another Mac and want extra RAM you can bet I'll buy it preconfigured from Apple.

Finally I have a usable computer!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I removed the added RAM, which I bought from a recommended vendor on here about when it was new, and the freezes have abated, even under heavy video streaming for hours. So I guess I had defective RAM (maybe?), but what are the odds of that happening, slim to none?
Technology is like any other equipment - it can be bad out of the box (rarely) or it can last years without hiccuping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I removed the added RAM, which I bought from a recommended vendor on here about when it was new, and the freezes have abated, .........
Finally I have a usable computer!

It happens. But rarely...
I have had one bad chip my entire life, and it went bad after 3 months.. It was also replaced under warranty form new egg at the time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They (OWC) sent new RAM, I slapped it in and it's running great. Wow, the 2 year 'nightmare' is over. Couldn't be happier. Now I can join the Mac "religion" ... j/k

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now I can join the Mac "religion" ... j/k

We require a Mid-Night sacrifice of a new iPhone 6 before we can accept you into the clan. However, we also take US currency. ;P

C

chas_m

Congratulations on finding the root cause of the issue!

Yes, even perfectly matched RAM can sometimes be defective. Indeed I'd bet that only one of the modules was the problem, but whatever. Glad to hear its working now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We require a Mid-Night sacrifice of a new iPhone 6 before we can accept you into the clan. However, we also take US currency. ;P

This.. LOL.. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.