tinker tool

Reaction score
on my mini mac 10.4.11 i have downloaded tinker tool, what should be unchecked and what should be left alone, is there a manual or explanation of the files

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See the Tinker Tool FAQ Here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
chscag the link does not work and rigreen maybe you will be better off just using Onyx for maintenance chores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
chscag the link does not work and rigreen maybe you will be better off just using Onyx for maintenance chores.

BOY, an old OS (Tiger), but visiting a Tinker Tool DL Site, there is still an option for the older OS Xs - just curious if this 'tool' is safe and complements Onyx, i.e. are both useful or is Onyx enough? Dave :)

Reaction score
Tinker Tool is not a "cleaning" app like Onyx. It is a system modification app for things like pinning the dock and changing System fonts (which I never got to work BTW).
It cant really hurt your system unless you really try and is not a substitute for Onyx.

OP
R
Reaction score
tinkertools

hi, to all, what is it that onyx will clean. is it anything like ccleaner, which seems to work on my laptop ok, just a simple cleaner for my older mac, i have had for years, and very satisfied with the service from it for all these years, it is starting to slow down a bit, and the rolling beach balls are showing up more, so a good cleaning would help , but i donot want to lose anything i have collected , i do try to backup, is onyx safe and will it work on my old mac,thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Tinker Tool is not a "cleaning" app like Onyx. It is a system modification app for things like pinning the dock and changing System fonts (which I never got to work BTW).
It cant really hurt your system unless you really try and is not a substitute for Onyx.

hi, to all, what is it that onyx will clean. is it anything like ccleaner, which seems to work on my laptop ok, just a simple cleaner for my older mac, i have had for years, and very satisfied with the service from it for all these years, it is starting to slow down a bit, and the rolling beach balls are showing up more, so a good cleaning would help , but i donot want to lose anything i have collected , i do try to backup, is onyx safe and will it work on my old mac,thanks

Hi Craig - thanks for your comments - I looked @ the features of Tinker Tool and seemed to not be of much appeal to me, so will keep w/ using Onyx.

@ Rlgreen - please do not download a bunch of 'crap cleaners' by whatever aliases - Onyx is the one recommended here and is safe; now, whether the app will help your OLD computer is another question. Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
hey, folks to update, onyx is just what i was looking for, works great, i might ask for a little help in what not to clean or delete in the future, but for now thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.