Sound Quality

Reaction score
Hey folks...new guy here...sorry if I was supposed to use some kind of search engine.

Question:

Just got a new AppleTV (ATV) and have it hooked up via HDMi to my audi reciever which is then connected to my LED TV. When the ATV connects to the library of music on my Macbook Air and plays the music the sound through the speakers and audio reciever are really really good and I am very happy with it. Now...when I play the same music from the same library on my MacBook Air but Airplay the music to my ATV the sound quality goes down...a feel like I have to turn up the volume all the time. Am I missing something or is this normal....!! Thanks in advance !

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is the volume on your MBA turned way down?

OP
K
Reaction score
No...I tried adjusting the volumes on both the Macbook Air and in Itunes....its kind of a mix between volume and muted sound kind of sort of....it just does not sound the same that is for sure...sounds way better when the ATV is playing the music from the library on the MBA as compared to the MBA playing the music through the ATV via Airplay....not sure why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hey folks...new guy here...sorry if I was supposed to use some kind of search engine.

Question:

Just got a new AppleTV (ATV) and have it hooked up via HDMi to my audi reciever which is then connected to my LED TV. When the ATV connects to the library of music on my Macbook Air and plays the music the sound through the speakers and audio reciever are really really good and I am very happy with it. Now...when I play the same music from the same library on my MacBook Air but Airplay the music to my ATV the sound quality goes down...a feel like I have to turn up the volume all the time. Am I missing something or is this normal....!! Thanks in advance !

Cheers

Ok trying to figure out what you are actually saying.. You may have to help..

Playing music on your ATV from your music collection. It sounds great.
(OK right here I assume you are accessing your music from your wireless network through file sharing)

But when you try to Airplay the music to your ATV from your Mac the quality drops.
(Ok right here I assume this is being pushed out to the ATV via either blue tooth or wireless connection.)

Its likely the AirPlay settings are lowering the quality of the music to save on band width. I can't for the life of me remember were this setting is located, but somewhere I do remember seeing it. There is a way to adjust this, at least I believe there is or used to be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.