Strange Sound from intel iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Hi everyone.

I've had this little issue since I bought my iMac. What happens is when I turn the computer off completely with the shutdown command this high-pitched ring begins to emit from the computer. To describe what it sounds like... Think of a older camera flash charging up... or the camera flash on one of those disposible cameras charging. That is exactly what it sounds like. Then that ring just hits a peak and stays there. It is almost inaudible and sometimes goes unnoticed during the day. However, the computer is in my room so it makes sleeping a little bit of a task. I usually sleep the computer to avoid this problem. The other option is to just physically unplug the computer. But I don't like to do that.

When I sleep the computer it rings and then fades off.

It's not that big of a deal, and probably normal. But I just wanted to know if anyone else with a previous imac or new intel imac has noticed this.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
really? the only sound is just my hard drive slowing down (at least that's what I think it is). Yeah, I could imagine that you hear that. Don't worry. Mine's just like a little thing up, then the... yes a flash charge is exactly how it sounds... just goes up and immediately gets lower and dies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.