Firewall and Wi Fi

Reaction score
Ill just tell you what I have noticed lately and you can advise accordingly. I am losing the signal to my roku more often. It is downstairs and the wi fi is upstairs. Hasn't been a

issue in the past. I received an update for my computer and decided to update later, it said another user was logged on also.I sometimes use my guest account but close it down

My firewall is not on. My wife recently added an i pad to the wi fi. Is that the account that is logged on? My wi fi password is the long number on the device itself, should I change it

and how is that done. i use AT&T. My system is 10.9 5 OSX . Our grandchildren live next door, IF they were given the password maybe they are siphoning off of gramps and

slowing things down?

Thank you.

M

MacInWin

Please read the link in my sig and repost. You've left out a lot of information we might need:

what Mac, what version OS, what wifi router, what version iPad, what what the Update you didn't do, etc, etc, etc.

OP
K
Reaction score
IMac 13.1 OSX 10.9.5

AT&T 2 WIre
Update was one that was sent to me automatically. IDk what it was supposed to fix
i pad 7.1.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for the help.

Well, you've really not provided anymore useful information for us to try to answer your questions - let me look @ your OP one item at a time to see if you can provide some more specific questions?

Ill just tell you what I have noticed lately and you can advise accordingly. I am losing the signal to my roku more often. It is downstairs and the wi fi is upstairs. Hasn't been an issue in the past. I received an update for my computer and decided to update later, it said another user was logged on also.I sometimes use my guest account but close it down

What 'update' did you receive, i.e. was this for your Mac OS or for another device? Plus, please provide your modem-router setup, especially the router you are using (brand/model)?

My firewall is not on. My wife recently added an i pad to the wi fi. Is that the account that is logged on? My wi fi password is the long number on the device itself, should I change it and how is that done. i use AT&T. My system is 10.9 5 OSX .

By 'firewall not on', do you mean the firewall which should be built into your router and/or the firewall of the Mac OS in the 'Security & Privacy' setting? For myself I have both ON - we've had a lot of discussion of this issue on the forum,

Concerning your Wi-Fi password, first do you still know it? Second, changing the password will depend on your router, i.e. different w/ various brands - I'm using an Apple Extreme router and would make a change through their AirPort Utility - other brands would likely have you open a browser window.

I'm also assuming that you have some type of Wi-Fi security setup on the router, e.g. I'm using WPA2 - if you are also using wireless security and change your password, others using your network would need to be given that password to connect.

Our grandchildren live next door, IF they were given the password maybe they are siphoning off of gramps and slowing things down?

NOW, I'm assuming that you have permitted your grandchildren to use your wireless network (is this for saving their parents $$ on setting up their own network and paying for their own broadband connection?); if so, any of their friends could visit and hog your signal. If you change your Wi-Fi password (or stop a 'Guest Account' w/o security), then you can determine if your broadband traffic is less - also you could go to the App Store and do a search on 'Lan Scan' - I'm using the one w/ the blue arrow on the attachment - this will show you the number of devices on your network.

SO, please try to answer these questions. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 8.54.03 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.