Need helpppppp pleaseeeeeee

Reaction score
If anyone can HELP cause I just bought a WD My Book 3TB hard drive so I can pass al my videos from a previous hard drive to my new one but the problem is that my old hard drives were format by a PC and in my iMac doesn't show in the desktop, only shows in Disk Utility. i was looking to buy the program MacDrive but it only comes for Windows not for iMac. Can ANYONE please help me or have any suggestions ? ? ? I would appreciate very much.....

Last edited by a moderator:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How was the old drive formatted? FAT32? NTFS? Either way it should still mount on a Mac. If it's NTFS it will be Read only but that would be fine for what you want to do.

Also click on Finder, and Preferences and the General tab. Be sure External disks is checked!!

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 2.51.47 AM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
How was the old drive formatted? FAT32? NTFS? Either way it should still mount on a Mac. If it's NTFS it will be Read only but that would be fine for what you want to do.

Also click on Finder, and Preferences and the General tab. Be sure External disks is checked!!

Look for this and it was checked but when I went to the disk utility it has a verify disk and repair disk options but I can't repair it cause both of my hard drive have data on them. I want to copie both and some them in the 3TB disk. And be able to watch, erase and update my data in both hard drives. Also be able to watch the movies and videos in my iMac and PC. BY the way how can I format the new hard drive ? ? ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you send us a print screen of what you see in DiskUtility. I have the impression that ( on the left hand side ) you selected the volume and not the disk.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Look for this and it was checked but when I went to the disk utility it has a verify disk and repair disk options but I can't repair it cause both of my hard drive have data on them. I want to copie both and some them in the 3TB disk. And be able to watch, erase and update my data in both hard drives. Also be able to watch the movies and videos in my iMac and PC. BY the way how can I format the new hard drive ? ? ?

Hello - you still may be confused about McBie's comment concerning 'what' is highlighted in 'Disk Utility' - see the attachment of my MBPro's SSD drive - note that my 'Macintosh HD' is chosen which is the formatted volume on my physical internal drive - also noticed the blue arrow indicating the type of format, i.e. Mac OS Extended - yours likely will be NTFS - so please post a screen capture of the same (if not familiar w/ the process, use the key combination CMD-Shift-4 which will save the image to the desktop; then reduce the size in Preview w/ the edit functions). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.22.14 AM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi, When I go to the disk utility with the 3TB it works no it even mounts so I can see it in the desktop. But when I plug in the 2TB hard drive I can only see it in the disk utility screen not in the desktop. So I would need to format it again ? Although when I plug the 2TB in my laptop PC it opens right away, but when I plug the 3TB hard drive I can only see it in the screen that un securely eject the disks in a PC. I want to be able to use both my hard drives in both computers (iMac and PC).

3TB_zps33942bdd.png

2TB_zpsb878909d.png

PS> Im not a very efficient person with my iMac hehehe u must be aware already....

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.