iMac monitor problem

Reaction score
Yesterday my 2008 iMac screen/monitor went completely black/blank with no previous problems or even a hint of problems. The computer starts up fine but I can't get anywhere from there. I have tried utilities such as TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior but again, with totally no means of visibility, I don't know what else to do. I would much appreciate any advice or assistance with this issue. I have never had a previous problem with this iMac, or for that matter, with my 2003 Power Mac G-5 which I am using today. There was a time when I just had to have the latest and greatest from Apple, but with my advanced years (72) I guess I have become a kinda "if it still works and meets my needs why replace it" guy. :)

Please let me know if you have any advice or guidance relative to this problem. Is there likely any hope for the monitor and is there a way short of connecting a separate monitor to the iMac to regain visability?

Regards,
macduck7

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hard to say what could have gone bad. The backlight on the monitor may have failed. If you shine a flashlight on the monitor while it's on, can you see anything at all? Of course it could also be a video failure which may require the replacement of the GPU or logic board depending on whether your model iMac has a removable graphics card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.