Powerbook 15" Battery Discharges While Sleeping

Reaction score
hi all
i am just looking for some quick advice. I have a 3 year old powerbook
Its a 15" 1.25ghz model and has recently had a new screen since it had the white spots problem
I havent had it long myself and the battery doesnt last all that long. But one thing i have noticed is that while the powerbook is in sleep mode the battery discharges. Quite often i leave it to sleep for a few days and when i get back it wont come on. I have to charge it first and then a few minutes later it will awake again.
Since i am soon to sell it i wonder if this is just a sign of an old battery or a more serious problem
Thanks in advance

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
A little discharging while your system is sleeping is normal, but in your case I think the battery maybe going out (bad).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
oragano said:
hi all
i am just looking for some quick advice. I have a 3 year old powerbook
Its a 15" 1.25ghz model and has recently had a new screen since it had the white spots problem
I havent had it long myself and the battery doesnt last all that long. But one thing i have noticed is that while the powerbook is in sleep mode the battery discharges. Quite often i leave it to sleep for a few days and when i get back it wont come on. I have to charge it first and then a few minutes later it will awake again.
Since i am soon to sell it i wonder if this is just a sign of an old battery or a more serious problem
Thanks in advance

Quick question...

Is there an extended warranty or any kind of replacement plan for the white spot issue? Or is your unit still under apple care warranty?

I just obtained a 15inch 1.25ghz unit for free(!) and I have noticed the white spots... honestly I can live with it... they aren't so bad... but if I can get it taken care free of charge I'd like to persue that.

Sorry for hijacking and thanks!!

OP
O
Reaction score
Apple were brilliant about it to be honest. I wasnt the original owner. In all honesty i bought ut from ebay less than a month ago.
It was 500pounds buy it now because of the screen. I bought it. Then booked it in for service. I had the serial no checked beforehand and it was eligible for repair.
I was the 3rd owner of the powerbook and had no problems.Didnt have to provide proof or purchase or anything.It did take a few phone calls back and forwards between my local service centre and apple though.To be repaired free you need apple to give you a CF code.So when the service centre checks the serial no it will tell them on their system that there is an issue and apple will fix it.
In my case apple themselves picked it up from me. It was taken on tuesday and returned to me friday the same week with a brand new lcd screen
Shame i didnt get a new battery by accident though!

A

awu_gigabyte

remember that sleeping is still using battery power. if you take the battery out while its sleeping it will shut off completely. I have a brand new powerbook, and if i let it sleep over night it will lose sometimes up to 5% battery in 10 or 12 hours. So if you have weak battery, and are leaving it sleep for days, i would not be surprised if it did die. A new battery could be bought from apple for like $119, and that would probably fix your problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.