Adobe Flash update safe?

R

RonH

My Adobe is not updated. How do I determine if it is turned off and is Adobe safe to update on MB Air?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're perfectly safe doing so as long as you get the Flash update from Adobe themselves.

You can't turn it off - it's an all or nothing thing. That said, you can disable it on a browser by browser basis using plugins. If you'd like to do this, let us know what browser you're using.

OP
R

RonH

Thanks for quick reply!

I've only used Safari on my MacBook Air since purchasing 2 years ago. I'm obviously still learning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
You're perfectly safe doing so as long as you get the Flash update from Adobe themselves.

You can't turn it off - it's an all or nothing thing. That said, you can disable it on a browser by browser basis using plugins. If you'd like to do this, let us know what browser you're using.

Hi Van & Others familiar w/ using Flash on Safari, which I do and keep it up to date for presumed security reasons - but just looked @ Safari and see no listing for Flash in the Preferences tab 'Extensions', but in viewing the Extensions Options, there is an offering called 'ClickToFlash' which seems to be a disabler of Flash - has anyone been using this extension and for what purposes? Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
but just looked @ Safari and see no listing for Flash in the Preferences tab 'Extensions'
Flash is a plugin, not an extension. If you want to see what plugins are loaded by Safari, go to Help > Installed Plug-ins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Adobe is not updated. How do I determine if it is turned off and is Adobe safe to update on MB Air?

Hi Ron - see my post above concerning Safari (which I also use) and Flash - if you need the latter in your web browsing, then keep it up to date (see some comments from the Safe Mac HERE) and obtained directly from Adobe, as already suggested. Finally, if you do have Adobe Flash installed, then the app should show up at the bottom of your System Preferences opening page. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flash is a plugin, not an extension. If you want to see what plugins are loaded by Safari, go to Help > Installed Plug-ins.

Of course, you're right! A 'brain fart' as they say, I guess @ my age - ;) :) Dave

P.S. I had to re-fresh my memory concerning a plugin vs. an extension - this short description helped.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I find the easiest way to update flash securely is via system preferences - flash player - updates, check now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Current version is 15.0.0.189. Do as nickyr suggests (even if his hero does walk oddly) BUT do not allow auto update button to be checked. Select the Hotify Me middle button.

Reaction score
Can i ask i honest question??

Maverick and yosemite both use html instead of flash so honestly why need it except for Facebook games

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can i ask i honest question??

Maverick and yosemite both use html instead of flash so honestly why need it except for Facebook games

Well, I guess that it is not a simple question, i.e. what version of HTML is running on current browsers and can these replace the Flash plugin? Current version is HTML5 - some information HERE - all is now in transition, so Flash is still around for a while - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.