System Preferences cannot be seen?

Reaction score
What is the problem when System Preferences itself is missing when you open it, is there a resolution as I am having that issue. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
What is the problem when System Preferences itself is missing when you open it, is there a resolution as I am having that issue. Thanks!

Hello Frankie - welcome to the forum! :)

Please provide the specs on your computer & the OS X installed.

Now, are you saying that the 'System Preferences' icon is no longer in the dock or that when you click on the icon there that it will not open? If not on the dock, then check in Finder -> Applications or in Launchpad to see if the app is listed; if so, simply drag to the dock.

If you no longer see the app in the two locations above, then strange since it is part of the OS; you might want to log out of your account and then back in - does that help? If not, then reboot the computer. I'll let you try & then respond at this point. Dave

OP
F
Reaction score
Dave,
Thanks for the help. The system is OS 10.6.8 and my desktop is about 8 years old. I have rebooted, rebooted in safe mode and nothing has restored the System Preferences. It is not listed in the Applications folder either but System Profiler is. I am not a techie so I am flying by the seat of my pants on this. My daughter suggested I may have to purchase a new machine as mine may not support an OS upgrade to Yosemite or Maverick? Any other ideas? Thanks again!

OP
F
Reaction score
Dave,

Here are the specs:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.52f9

OP
F
Reaction score
Dave,
I have located my System Preferences. Lucky for me I have an external B/U hard drive (Time Machine) and it was there. So I copied it to the Apps Folder on my machine and I am back in business! Why is was removed originally I have no idea. Thanks Dave for your efforts!
Frank @ Raleigh N.C.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Dave,
I have located my System Preferences. Lucky for me I have an external B/U hard drive (Time Machine) and it was there. So I copied it to the Apps Folder on my machine and I am back in business! Why is was removed originally I have no idea. Thanks Dave for your efforts!
Frank @ Raleigh N.C.

Hi Frank - I was looking @ your specs on the Everymac Website (at least a machine that seems to match closely) - stated that the introduction year was 2009 (making your iMac a little younger than stated in your earlier post) - take a look and see if my assumption is close?

At any rate, check the Yosemite requirements HERE - if the above is close to your computer & w/ 4 GB RAM (not sure how much HD space is left?), you likely would be able to install a newer OS X - hopefully, our 'hardware gurus' will chime in w/ some more experienced comments. Dave :)

P.S. just returned from the Raleigh area this morning (live in Winston Salem) - we spent a few nights @ the Umstead Hotel and saw the traveling exhibit 'Small Treasures' @ the NCMA - enjoyed & love that hotel!

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks again Dave! I will research the Yosemite OS to see if I can upgrade. See you on the forum in the future!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.