Yosemite - I will not rush and upgrade

Reaction score
Judging from the pros and cons being experienced with Yosemite, and the fact that it is still Beta - let's not beat about the bush on this - I am definitely not upgrading to Yosemite yet. I'll wait for a couple of weeks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yosemite has been out of beta for some time, but whether or not you intend to upgrade is your choice.

OP
T
Reaction score
Administrator - I respect your point. I might be subjective about the upgrade in question, but I am 71, and I shifted to Mac 13 months ago, (iMac. I do some photography), after donkeys years of Windows and its there-is-always-an-issue speciality. My rock-solid iMac (Mavericks 10.9.5) works superbly; one of the reasons might be that I do not rush into upgrades.
Regards from Mauritius

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Judging from the pros and cons being experienced with Yosemite, and the fact that it is still Beta - let's not beat about the bush on this - I am definitely not upgrading to Yosemite yet. I'll wait for a couple of weeks.

I think that there may be some confusion here. Yosemite is no longer in beta version. The official release of Yosemite was about 2 weeks ago.

I not saying this should mean that you MUST now upgrade. If you like 10.9…then stick with 10.9!:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Moderator - thanks for the comforting suggestion. As I say, I might upgrade in a couple of weeks. I shall certainly keep you informed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I shall certainly keep you informed.

I will be holding my breath in excited anticipation of your Yosemite upgrade!;);)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Seventy One? You are still in nappies!

When you do go, as you will, make sure you burn the download to a USB thumb drive, backup, format the hard drive and do a clean install.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Moderator - thanks for the comforting suggestion. As I say, I might upgrade in a couple of weeks. I shall certainly keep you informed.

If you are worried I would wait for 10.10.1 or 10.10.2 then upgrade. By then any bugs that got by the testers will be fixed.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My $0.02, for every one person that might have an issue with Yosemite (or ANY new software), there are hundreds, if not more, folks who've had no issues at all.

For me, the upgrade from Mavericks 10.9.5 to Yosemite was smooth and I haven't experience single glitch at all..

Reaction score
Seventy One? You are still in nappies!

When you do go, as you will, make sure you burn the download to a USB thumb drive, backup, format the hard drive and do a clean install.

Is that necessary?

I installed Yosemite without backing up and it worked just fine. No issues here.

My MBA is nearly brand new tho. Is that a factor?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I didn't do it but saved the installer file so I could.

It's not a necessity but it is not a bad idea either. Without doing that performing a clean install involves downloading the file all over again. This can be a problem if you are stuck without internet access or have slow speeds.

Reaction score
Upgrading to Yosemite

I have a 2.6GHZ i7 Retina Mac Book Pro. I upgraded to Yosemite a week ago. The only problem I had was Photoshop CS5 died. I re-ran the Photoshop install package and CS5 came back. I have noticed a significant increase in processing speed overall, and none of my other applications appears to have been affected by the upgrade.
Anton

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that necessary?

I installed Yosemite without backing up and it worked just fine. No issues here.

If you installed Yosemite…then had an installation issue…didn't have a backup…and couldn't access your HD…you wouldn't be asking this question!;) Then you would know the answer to the "necessary" question!;) But if you had a backup…you would sure be glad you had it!!!:)

Statistically speaking…it is on the rare side to have a major install issue with an OS upgrade where the HD (and files on it) would be inaccessible. But if you had your "LIFE" (so to speak) on the computer:

- MS Office files
- music library
- videos
- family photos
- PhD. dissertation
- Novel you are writing
- etc.

And you had an install issue & lost all of this stuff (no backup)…you would be one UNHAPPY PUPPY!!!;)

So it is almost always advised to make a backup of the HD before an OS upgrade. AND besides that…everyone should have "normal" backups anyway (just in case of an HD, SSD, or flash storage failure). This can happen at ANY TIME without warning!

Heck…just an unexpected power spike…or a thunderstorm strike can fry the computer & the storage inside.

Of course if someone does not store ANYTHING very important on the computer…then there's not a whole lot to be concerned about.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
If you installed Yosemite…then had an installation issue…didn't have a backup…and couldn't access your HD…you wouldn't be asking this question!;) Then you would know the answer to the "necessary" question!;) But if you had a backup…you would sure be glad you had it!!!:)

Statistically speaking…it is on the rare side to have a major install issue with an OS upgrade where the HD (and files on it) would be inaccessible. But if you had your "LIFE" (so to speak) on the computer:

- MS Office files
- music library
- videos
- family photos
- PhD. dissertation
- Novel you are writing
- etc.

And you had an install issue & lost all of this stuff (no backup)…you would be one UNHAPPY PUPPY!!!;)

So it is almost always advised to make a backup of the HD before an OS upgrade. AND besides that…everyone should have "normal" backups anyway (just in case of an HD, SSD, or flash storage failure). This can happen at ANY TIME without warning!

Heck…just an unexpected power spike…or a thunderstorm strike can fry the computer & the storage inside.

Of course if someone does not store ANYTHING very important on the computer…then there's not a whole lot to be concerned about.:)

- Nick

I run Time Machine with my Time Capsule...

...shouldnt that protect me shouldnt it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Moderator(s) - I will eventually go for the Yosemite; before X-mas. (i) I back up on Time Machine. Ah, it has saved me from a couple of catastrophes so far! (ii) I have downloaded and saved Mavericks OS Recovery Disk Assistant on an external drive. (iii) When I upgrade to Yosemite, must I uninstall the RDA from my Apps and repeat the exercise for Yosemite? (iv) Meanwhile Paragon is daily supplicating me to upgrade my NTFS for Yosemite. I paid for the 1st NTFS purchase; shall I have to pay again for the upgrade?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Meanwhile Paragon is daily supplicating me to upgrade my NTFS for Yosemite. I paid for the 1st NTFS purchase; shall I have to pay again for the upgrade?

You need to ask that question of Paragon support not us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.