erasing old Macintosh HD hard drive

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, late 2011) running Mac OS 10.10. My hard drive crashed and I was not able to repair it using Disk Utility. I replaced the hard drive and installed from my Time Machine back up external drive. This seems to have fixed the problem. My question now is, how to I completely erase the old (broken) hard drive? I want to wipe it completely clean to get rid of all information on it. When I use a USB adapter to connect it to me MacBook Pro, I can access the files, but I can not erase the disk with Disk Utility. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Why can you not erase that disk with disk utility ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
When I connect the old hard drive via the USB port and open Disk Utility, I only have the "First Aid" and "Partition" options. There is no option to "Erase", which is odd because I have the option to erase the new hard drive that I installed.

Ok, now that I take a closer look, I see on the left hand column of Disk Utility that there is a list of each drive and a subset of each partition. Is that correct? It seems I can erase the partition, but not the entire hard drive. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You could create a new partition ( or delete the existing one ) , then format the disk and than securely erase.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. It seems erasing the partition worked, I am now able to securely erase the entire drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
No worries mate.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.