New iPad - No Purchased Apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have a new iPad.

I have signed in to my Apple account successfully. I can see my music and movies in the Music app, but the App Store does not show any purchased apps.

The fact the music is visible proves I must have used the correct ID, so where are my purchased apps?

Edit - Incidentally, it seems Apple have sent me an old device. The Apple Website says the iPad Mini 2 has iOS8.

Mine says it has version 7.1.2.

Should I send it back, is the Website incorrect, or do I have to accept a huge download just to get it to meet the state described in the Website?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Edit - Incidentally, it seems Apple have sent me an old device. The Apple Website says the iPad Mini 2 has iOS8.

Mine says it has version 7.1.2.

Should I send it back, is the Website incorrect, or do I have to accept a huge download just to get it to meet the state described in the Website?

When did you actually purchase it?

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It arrived today

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He didn't ask when it arrived, he asked when it was purchased. In any event, your iPad was likely sitting on a stock shelf somewhere before iOS 8 was released. It's no big deal, just go ahead and update it. You don't have an "old" iPad Mini 2.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry - I bought it online from the Apple Website yesterday and it arrived today.

That size download will take the rest of the evening here and I only have another 14GB for another 2 weeks before I get capped.

Life in the sticks can be difficult at times :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you near any store or business where they have free WiFi? McDonalds, Starbucks, Panera, etc? Surely somewhere near your home free WiFi should be available?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Costa has free Wifi. I was in there this morning unfortunately - before the iPad arrived.

Not sure how long iOS8 will take to download there though. Might be forced to go in to work before it has finished.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry - I bought it online from the Apple Website yesterday and it arrived today.

Thanks for the info. The reason why I asked was…usually Apple sells all new devices with the most current OS or iOS installed on it. And about the only time this happens is when a new OS or iOS has just come out (like within days). iOS 8 was released September 18th, 2014 (over a month ago)…so I would think that all devices now being sold via the Apple Store would have the newest operating system installed.

As chscag suggested…just go somewhere with free wifi to do the download. Or if you are near an Apple Store…they will most certainly do it there!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends on how fast the WiFi speed is at Costa. Usually free WiFi is slower than what's available to home users. Go there when you have sufficient time to complete the download. I have a very fast connection here at my home and it took about 7 minutes to download. Most of the remaining time for the installation was to verify and install the update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Personally, I don't know if the OP wants or needs any of the new iOS 8 features, but I know I don't and I'm in no hurry to download and install it, so they have an option.

But once updated to iOS 8, you can't (normally) go back to iOS 7.x. Apple killed it already. :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eventually I bit the bullet and allowed it to update at Home. Took most of the evening.

Seems OK so far. I don't like the band at the bottom of the screen instead of the dock, but that was in iOS7 as well. Not tried the iCloud thing yet as that would prevent access from my old iPad.

The flat icons look dull. I miss the skeumorphism of the old days :Smirk:

Admittedly the picture is better, Kindle ebooks look clearer. Odd that so many of the apps seem to be using paler colours. Adding that to the thinner font used for the text, it all seems a bit faint. Is that also part of the new iOS? Not ideal for readability for the older eyes :)

Incidentally, the app store still does not list any purchased apps, but when I try to install them, either they show 'install' rather than 'buy' or they say I have already purchased them when I attempt to purchase them again - so that is working adequately.

Thanks for the help :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.