Connecting iPad to iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Not sure if this should have been in the iPad Forum or this one :Confused:

Is there a way to connect a new iPad to iTunes without iTunes wanting to erase it or duplicate everything on it?

Firstly, if I setup the iPad directly via Wifi and then connect to iTunes, all I am offered is to restore a Backup or set the device up as new. Neither of these is acceptable after the device has already been configured and the apps downloaded onto it.

Secondly, if I do manage to connect it to iTunes, all of the apps and songs I purchased via iTunes are redownloaded to the device, despite the fact that they were simultaneously downloaded to every device immediately upon purchase - which didn't help with my limited Download allowance either. Even worse is that these music tracks are not recognised as being already on the device - so iTunes adds a duplicate copy of each one.

It would seem that although Apple have finally allowed us to configure iDevices directly (as was always the case for every Android device), they have not told iTunes about this - so iTunes assumes that every device connected to it which it has not seen before must be a brand new and blank device which needs to be configured from scratch. This is not especially helpful.

How do others deal with this please? Is it still possible to use iTunes or do we just have to accept that a new iDevice must be configured and backed up via the Cloud?

Asking this because I have a new iPad and need to add some files to it which the Cloud will probably not deal with.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Not solved this yet.

I have setup the new device using Wifi. Not got around to trying to add the files I need from the old one.

Any thoughts please? :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.