Storage says I have 84GB of movies: I can't find nowhere near that amount of movies

Reaction score
Hi,

About this Mac -> Storage -> It says I have 84GB of movies

- There are no movies in my video folders
- Yes, I have video clips but they do not appear to amount to anywhere near 84GB.
- I went inside of spotlight and typed kind:movies. Then 'show in finder'. Command A to select all. Command I to retrieve information. It was only 11GB for the whole lot of movies that was searched up. Where did the other 73GB come from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, you can obtain more information about the specifics of your storage contents using a disk scanning utility - there are a number but most are paid apps - a 'free trail' may be available but will usually be limited is some fashion.

As an example, I have WhatSizeMac on my MBPro which just generated the HD scan attached showing the sizes of various areas on the disk - movies is highlighted and the size used and further information is provided - other apps for this purpose have been mentioned in the forum - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 11.34.44 AM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
I downloaded a free trial....it's very limited. I clicked on Mac HD... the UI didn't look like that at all...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I downloaded a free trial....it's very limited. I clicked on Mac HD... the UI didn't look like that at all...

Well, if you followed my link, then the same program but now in v. 6.x w/ a Yosemite upgrade (I have v. 5.x); also, the information can be viewed differently (the 3 'pages' & pie chart icons in the middle of the menu bar) - the 'free trial' will have features disabled (like many freebies) and may scan only a limited amount of your storage.

If you don't want to pay, there may be 'free' alternatives - try this Google Search - Disk Inventory X is free, but I have not personal experience. Let us know - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.