Yellow icon like a light bulb?

Reaction score
A yellow icon like a light bulb (not an energy-saving bulb with a thick element) with the letter T in the middle has appeared on the screen of my iPad (iOS 8.1). I didn't download it via iTunes; and when I press it, it wobbles like all the others but there's no x in the corner. It does not appear with all the others in the Settings list.

I've not tapped it but would first like to know what it is?

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
A yellow icon like a light bulb (not an energy-saving bulb with a thick element) with the letter T in the middle has appeared on the screen of my iPad (iOS 8.1). I didn't download it via iTunes; and when I press it, it wobbles like all the others but there's no x in the corner. It does not appear with all the others in the Settings list.

I've not tapped it but would first like to know what it is?

Hello Mike.... - does the icon look like the attachments below? If so, this is likely a 'Tips' app - some information HERE - is the icon labeled as in the second image? Interestingly, I have 2 iPads on iOS 8.1 and neither has that icon - not sure if this was part of iOS 8 beta releases or not - have you 'Reset' the device since the upgrade? Dave :)

Tips-icon.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 12.16.30 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, that's it, Dave. Thanks very much because I am now reassured and realise that it's an official Apple icon. I upgraded our two iPads over the weekend; also an iPhone 5. All are now on iOS 8.1 and all have this icon. I have not done a reset but was somewhat late in installing 8.1.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yes, that's it, Dave. Thanks very much because I am now reassured and realise that it's an official Apple icon. I upgraded our two iPads over the weekend; also an iPhone 5. All are now on iOS 8.1 and all have this icon. I have not done a reset but was somewhat late in installing 8.1.

Hey Mike - yep, the 'Tips' app is suppose to be there and I have to correct myself - the app IS on my iPad 2 but I hid it in another folder (not to look at it!) and just checked my wife's Mini - she hid it back on a distant home page! Apparently some are annoyed w/ having this 'new' app (plus the color is somewhat glaring) - check HERE for more discussion. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can always hide it in a folder and change the settings to not notify you of any tips.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.