• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Pay blocked at CVS, Rite Aid

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Nah, Apple won't need to overcome this. Take a look at CVS' Facebook page. They are getting HAMMERED by a very vocal and outraged customer base. These guys will do an about face on this, I have no doubt. At least if they are able to. There's an article about it on Ars Technica, and one commenter linked to another article that indicated some of the CurrentC partners may be contractually obligated to use them exclusively for a few years (I forget how long).

If they don't change their minds, well I know I'll switch whenever I get an NFC-equipped iPhone. There's a Walgreens across the street from the CVS I go to. And that's a real shame, because CVS earned a lot of respect from me for being the first (only?) pharmacy to kick tobacco out of their stores. I've always felt that was a rather awkward product for pharmacies to have on their shelves given their core business is in health care.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect you're right about CVS doing an about face. They've been embarrassed before by an angry customer base. About 5 years ago CVS refused to accept prescriptions written for government subscribers of certain pharmacy benefits (Express Scripts) therefore, many folks myself included, just went to Walgreens or Walmart pharmacies instead. It didn't take long before they changed their policy. Like you I try to do business with CVS because of their getting rid of tobacco products (I have never been a smoker) and usually only go to Walgreens if I have to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
C

chas_m

Actually, it was the industry leader on the day it debuted by virtue of the number of issuers, banks and merchants that accepted it. The press takes a while to notice these things, I find, until they get handed statistics that "confirm" it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.