Best Anti-virus & Anti-malware software for Mac

Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering what the most recommended anti-virus / anti-malware software is out there.

My situation:
I downloaded some video converter software from the internet called Brorsoft. It infected all my internet browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Safari) and puts ads everywhere and opens new tabs with ads everytime I click on a link.

I want to do more than just delete the bad software. I want to completely rid my computer of anything even remotely related to it and reset every shred of any virus and malware.

I'm on a MacBook Pro from 2011 and am running MAC OS 10.9.3.
The processor is 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, and the memory is 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Any advice would be great thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello. I was wondering what the most recommended anti-virus / anti-malware software is out there.

My recommendation...no AV or malware software is needed.

My situation:
I downloaded some video converter software from the internet called Brorsoft. It infected all my internet browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Safari) and puts ads everywhere and opens new tabs with ads everytime I click on a link.

What you're suffering from is "adware"...and you need something like an "ad-blocker". Installing something like "Ad-Block" should help:

https://getadblock.com

I want to do more than just delete the bad software. I want to completely rid my computer of anything even remotely related to it and reset every shred of any virus and malware.

What you're looking for is some sort of "magic-bullet"...which I do not believe exists!;)

This is like asking your doctor to prescribe for you a single pill that will cure:

- the common cold
- the flu
- cancer
- ebola
- overweight
- and allow you to live to be 1000 years old!;)

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Cool thank you for the feedback. I'll look into Ad-block. I guess I was also kind of wondering if people thought Norton would be good or if there is something better than Norton?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. Don't download anything unless you know what it is preciely.

2. Nothing from Softonic or CNET at all.

3. AdBlock plus, Ghostery and AdwareMedic vital.

4. No resource hog AV software.

5. CAPTIALS AVOID NORTONS LIKE THE BLACK PLAGUE.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool thank you for the feedback. I'll look into Ad-block. I guess I was also kind of wondering if people thought Norton would be good or if there is something better than Norton?

You should read some of the threads in our "Security Awareness" forum. For folks that REALLY feel they need to run AV software (which many feel it is unnecessary). Norton is mentioned as one of the least liked AV apps.

- Nick

Edit: Ahh...Harry beat me to it. As you can see...he said things a bit more STRONGLY than I did regarding Norton!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh Nick dare I ask seconds?

OP
M
Reaction score
Roger that regarding Norton! But one questio:

Harry, in your #3 you say AdBlock plus, Ghostery and AdwareMedic vital.

I can't tell from how you wrote that whether you mean AdBlock plus is something good that I should get or if I should avoid it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to put words in Harry's mouth...but:

Dictionary: vital = absolutely necessary or important; essential

This may be more strongly worded than I would state it. But harry may feel more strongly about it (or had non-positive experiences)!;):)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
...harryB is suggesting that you add all 3 to your app arsenal. Please be conscientious of where you download them. Avoid CNET and Softonic downloads.

OP
M
Reaction score
Got it, thanks a million! Also looked into that Security forum and found that ClamXav was recommended. Going to look into that too.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow, the Adblock Plus thing didn't work at all. My browsers are really screwed. Ads everywhere even though Adblocker is saying it is blocking lots of Ads (it's not).

I'll just research on my own and post my results here when I have them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it, thanks a million! Also looked into that Security forum and found that ClamXav was recommended. Going to look into that too.

Excellent!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, the Adblock Plus thing didn't work at all. My browsers are really screwed. Ads everywhere even though Adblocker is saying it is blocking lots of Ads (it's not).

Not 100% sure. But after installing did you:

- Quit & restart Safari?
- Did you erase/clear the Safari cache?
- Maybe even reboot the computer.

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
...do you happen to have Onyx in your toolbox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I recommend running AdwareMedic first. This is a standalone program that cleans up the mess and then add Ghostry and AdBlock Pro. You have to clean out the junk first.

AdwareMedic

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB

Running Norton is kinda like firing a Sherman tank at a mosquito. Macs are pretty safe, but if you'll sleep better at night with something running, use Avast - it's free and runs lightly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I ran avast for a while. I am a recovering Window-holic. I have worked my way through a long detox program to cure my need for adding anti-virus, malware scanners, additional firewalls, email scanners, you name it to my macs. I have installed it ... and uninstalled it all after figuring out none of it was needed. (I just know a whole bunch of the guys on this forum are saying "we told you so!" and I listened...eventually)

So if you feel better, avast is a good one. All it ever caught for me was a couple of emails with attachments I would never have opened that had malware that would have only affected a windows OS and not my mac OS.

But when you decide it isn't necessary I recommend reading extensively on this forum as a good start to full recover from the need to install anti-virus.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Lisa, the added bonus I found to running this stuff is that it makes your Mac run like glue; especially Norton. It also disables Mac features like AirDrop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa, the added bonus I found to running this stuff is that it makes your Mac run like glue; especially Norton. It also disables Mac features like AirDrop.

Well, I am in full recovery now and run all my "girls" sans anti-virus (read naked!) I never tried Norton on any of my Macs.. Years ago when Peter Norton left and sold to Symantec, I quit using anything with the name Norton attached. On a Windows machine, the Norton suite will slow the system down to a crawl. It is at the bottom of my list of products to use on a Windows computer followed by McAfee and PC Matic.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ooooooh you daring thing!

Peter used to run a good ship in Classic days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.