Greyed Out Disk Space

Reaction score
Hello -

I've been racking my brain and trying a number of different forums to no avail so hoping someone can help guide me. I took a dump from diskutil below.

When I upgraded to Yosemite I wanted to do so on another partition. I choose to overwrite and not install on the other partition. I deleted the partition and now cannot resize my drive.

Note - I had file vault turned on at a point though have subsequently turned it off. Also, I wiped and reloaded the OS to be as fresh as possible. Any help would be great.

Shauns-MacBook-Pro:~ shaunkelly$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 141.5 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.1 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *141.2 GB disk1
Logical Volume on disk0s2
5FD25A37-EF13-4163-B2E9-FC67E30D6FF9
Unencrypted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Arghh FileVault causes big problems.

In Partition can you drag it to form one partition, and then run Erase Free Space?

OP
S
Reaction score
I wish it was that easy.

I cannot drag. I cannot recreate any partition. I will click the + key and nothing will happen for any format. I've been trying to modify via terminal though not having much luck

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have all your data backed up? It looks like you might have to erase that entire hard drive and reinstall whatever version of OS X that you had on there before. If it's Yosemite, it can be downloaded again from the Mac App Store. I can't tell without a screen shot but I think the problem is that your greyed out space is between the Macintosh HD and Recovery partitions which means you can not move it or format it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Just wanted to provide an update. I eventually figured it out. Going through the terminal I noticed that the additional hard drive space was not even showing up under any of the disk space. I downloaded a Linux boot disk and loaded through command and the S key via a reboot to boot via the disk. I ran the program and reformatted the free space into a HFS+ partition which recovered the lost space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.