Spotlight copy files and folder structure

Reaction score
So I have a folder with many sub folders and thousands of different types of video files which I need to be able to search through them, pick out the ones that the dituration is greater then ten seconds and copy them to a new location retaining the folder structure.
The returning results is three times less. Its time sensitive so copying all the thousands of files at once then doing a reverse search afterwards and deleting them would take to long.

Example
/drive/storage/PathA/Mountains.mov would be copied to /drive/BackupStorage/PathA/Mountains.mov

Ive tried rsync with terminal but doesn't seem to be a way to search files in depth like spotlight.

Ideas?

Running Yosemite on Mac Pro

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
A Smart Search might work for this situation. Essentially you open a Finder window in the folder you want to search and enter the appropriate parameters. See here or here for some example.

Both articles are a few years old but the process / concept is essentially the same. Although I wrote the second article rest assured I get no compensation whatsoever from sending you to that link.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, but that doesn't solve how to copy the files and maintain their directory structure

Reaction score
man ditto in Terminal. That might do it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the links, but that doesn't solve how to copy the files and maintain their directory structure

You're right. I realized that after posting the links. I'll have to do a bit more poking around when I have time. Nothing occurs to me off the top of my head but there might be some utility out there that can handle this.

M

MacInWin

What about copying the ENTIRE structure, then using smart search to find in that structure what you DON'T want, select all of the found files and move them to trash? What's left is the files you want in the structure you want.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thats what Im having to do MacWin but moving 800GB vs 400GB and the hard drive that I am transferring to is due tomorrow morning. It would save time more then half

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.