Windows in Bootcamp Can't Find Router

Reaction score
Hello,
I've tried to fix this problem as much as I can with my limited knowledge, but I'm really stuck so I finally caved in so here's my first post at MacForums :'(

When using a different router previously, I did not have this issue. However, I moved away for college and I'm using d-link DIR-810L now. There are no issues on the Apple side of my MBP 2012, but Windows 7 does not pick up my router. The frustrating part is it picks up everyone else's signal, just not mine.

The only way I can get it to work is if I reset my router to factory settings and set it up again through 192.168.0.1. I can't change any settings or login to my d-link account. That would be totally fine, except it seems to cause a problem with any other wireless connections besides my computer. My connection speed with my computer is fine, but my iPhone and iPad are extremely slow. When I set up the router properly again on the Apple side, my other devices don't seem to be slow.

Can anyone think of a reason for why this might be? I'm totally lost :'(

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do have to go into Windows and set up again.

OP
P
Reaction score
You do have to go into Windows and set up again.

It doesn't let me finish setting it up though :(
I try to change the name and password and it gets to the "saving settings" part, but it never actually changes any settings. After that, it goes to the d-link login page and if I try to login, it disconnects my router and won't let me connect again.

And I didn't have to set it up again when I used another router at home before I moved (also d-link).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's something amiss with your setup then. Windows usually has less difficulty setting up an internet connection than OS X - at least in my experience. You really haven't provided us with much info but make sure: You're broadcasting your SSID from the router and also using encryption. (WPA2)

Start out in Windows using a basic setup... connect an ethernet cable from the router to your Mac. Does Windows "see" the router? Can you connect to the net using IE when hooked up with an ethernet cable? If you can, then use the wireless wizard in Windows 7 to setup a wireless connection.

Also... and this is important: Make certain that you have installed the Windows 7 Boot Camp drivers. If you haven't installed the drivers or the drivers are not correct, you won't be able to connect. You should be able to open the hardware tree in Windows 7 to see if all your drivers are installed and working.

OP
P
Reaction score
I feel like this is a simple problem, but I'm not too good with computers :(

I checked my settings and I'm pretty sure the router is broadcasting my SSID and using WPA2 encryption. I don't have another ethernet cable, but my phone and iPad picks up the signal perfectly so I don't think it's an issue with my router.

I installed all the Windows 7 Boot Camp drivers when I first set up Windows 7... Unless something needs to be updated?? If so, where can I get the updates?

You can see how much of an amateur I am :( Thank you for trying to help though!

OP
P
Reaction score
Well it looks like I fixed the problem! I selected my network prior to turning on Windows (during the screen where you choose which partition to open), and my the connection was visible. I still don't know why I can't connect directly from Windows but finally I can end this frustration.

Thanks for the replies though :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, glad to hear it's working. Have fun and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.