Boots to white screen.

Reaction score
I've got an aluminum unibody Macbook Pro 13.3" that I purchased in August of 2010.

Recently it gave out on me. My AppleCare plan is obviously no longer valid.

I did just about everything I could to get it working again (booting in Recovery and Single-User modes, etc.) and eventually decided to try a clean reinstall of OSX from the discs.

The OS installer couldn't find the hard drive at all, so I figured the drive had died. I was working on building a new desktop at the time, and I picked up a new HDD for my laptop as well. It couldn't find the new drive either.

I put it aside for a while, because I had just finished building my new desktop and it wasn't a priority, but I decided to try my hand at it again last week. I did some research and discovered that the hard drive cable was a frequent source of failure, so I purchased a new one and installed it.

All I'm getting at start-up now is the standard noise and a white screen with no response. Any tips on what else might be wrong would be appreciated. I'm stumped right now, but I refuse to lose to this thing. (and before you ask, I used the utmost care replacing the HDD and the cable; I know how to handle computer parts)

-----

Edit-- also, during the time I had it in storage, my battery appears to have swollen. The track pad is cracked and protruding though the top casing and the bottom cover won't fit back on. Might have to pop the lithium sacs in it and drain the gasses.

Edit 2 -- my disc drive won't eject the install discs. I think this is a lost cause.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you try checking if an external display works with the computer?

I was having similar problems with a 13" 2010 MBP and I believe the LVDS connector was bad because it would work with an external monitor but the laptop's display would stay with a white screen.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with your diagnosis concerning the drive. When in Recovery if you go to Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk, any red warnings will indicate this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.