Experiencing beach balls after RAM upgrade

OP
C
Reaction score
i updated the software and the fan and beachball problem came back. it's the oddest thing. the updates were an ibooks update, a safari 7.1 update and a security update with info here Apple security updates - Apple Support

there might be something wonky in mavericks. it seems i'll have to try yosemite

OP
C
Reaction score
i tried accessing some files in my back up through time machine but all the folders have a red circle and tell me i don't have permission to view the files. Is there a way to fix this?

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks. i ended up having to erase the drive and back up, but it's cool. a first time back up takes long on its own, but with the system freezes every minute it's taking an ungodly amount of time. is there a way to remove a security update on OS X?

Reaction score
Overheating ?

A couple of left field thoughts...

Have you checked the temperature of your processor ? Plenty of widgets around to do that. I read an article that says OS X manages overheating by removing access to the processor...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16634745#16634745#16634745

May late 2011 macbook can go into full blast fan whenever I watch videos, or a browser has some flash advert running in the background....

With any old laptop dust collects in the fan creating a felt mat that stops airflow which can cause the heat build up - I have to take my daughters machine to bits every 6 months or so to clean it out.

The other thought is Spotlight indexing - with a new machine and restored backup you probably just need to leave the machine alone for a day or so to let it index the drive and not get in the way....

cheers
Bob.C

OP
C
Reaction score
A couple of left field thoughts...

Have you checked the temperature of your processor ? Plenty of widgets around to do that. I read an article that says OS X manages overheating by removing access to the processor...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16634745#16634745#16634745

May late 2011 macbook can go into full blast fan whenever I watch videos, or a browser has some flash advert running in the background....

With any old laptop dust collects in the fan creating a felt mat that stops airflow which can cause the heat build up - I have to take my daughters machine to bits every 6 months or so to clean it out.

The other thought is Spotlight indexing - with a new machine and restored backup you probably just need to leave the machine alone for a day or so to let it index the drive and not get in the way....

cheers
Bob.C

thanks, i'll look into the temperature apps like istat pro. i saw a lot of dust when upgrading the mac, so i'll have to take care of it to. i think the culprit is the update i did, probably the security update. even after moving to yosemite the issue persists. yosemite has better performance and slightly less system freezes, but a problem is a problem and it must be fixed. i think i'll just use the mavericks from my bootable drive

OP
C
Reaction score
i performed a clean install and migrated my applications succesfully. they work, but I would like to move the prerences and internet history from the users/libary folder in the backup. I tried copying the folder but i get a 'can't move because it's being used by OS X' message. i tried entering time machine but i can't access the back up. is there a way to restore the library folder from time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Proc
I found that kernal_task is usually your anti-virus software running in the background. After looking at your stats, I checked mine and now my head is "a spinning like a beachball"

OP
C
Reaction score
yes, antiviruses don't go well with macs. I think it's something in the OS since it occurs in the latest update of mavericks and yosemite so I have to wait for apple to roll out more updates

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.