• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yosemite - Why the "Blah?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
'New' look Lisa? Small minnows.

What is big time is Apple removing the floppy from the original Bondi Blue iMac. Now that was catastrophic!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
'New' look Lisa? Small minnows.

What is big time is Apple removing the floppy from the original Bondi Blue iMac. Now that was catastrophic!!!

Your right, that was catastrophic! :D

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
I was wondering does Quick time still have a distorted play back on movie in yosemite, as in mavericks?
that worked perfectly in leopard to mountain lion

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've never seen terribly distorted playback in QT. What are you seeing specifically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I was wondering does Quick time still have a distorted play back on movie in yosemite, as in mavericks?
that worked perfectly in leopard to mountain lion

Never saw any issues in Mavericks. As for Yosemite, I just streamed an mp4 video that I created and stored in my Dropbox. It played flaulessly and trust me, I am picky! ;D

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Been using my desktop a lot. I know myself and many others have complained about the looks. Apple seems to be slightly changing the looks every 2 years or about. There are a few things that annoy me, but they are not deal breakers. Most apps I used like Final Cut, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.. are not effected hardly at all. But it does feel like Apple hit a home run, yet stopped at 3rd base with this UI. So its likely next release may see more tweaks to it.

I personally would like to have seen more translucency or even the ability to adjust it more. But till then, I just hope they get some patches out to fix many of the bugs..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
...And on the subject of fixes, I have read postings where some have hailed the fact that Microsoft seems to address issues in a much timely manner with updates and patches. Please....really.... I love coming to work and turning on my Windows 7 editors only to find I will have to wait anywhere 30 minutes or more for updates to download, install, and reboot. And on more than one occasion, after the reboot, something doesn't work - like Premiere Pro, which I use daily. And now I have to troubleshoot, find the offender and uninstall it. Would it be unreasonable to ask for an operating system that did not require frequent and constant fixes that take a long time and require long reboots? Oh, wait, there is - OS X. Okay, off my soap box...back to work....

Lisa

Preach it, sister! :D

Reaction score
Anyway, I didn’t realize just how plain looking that 10.10 was compared to the last releases. For myself, I don’t use an OS based on it’s prettiness, especially after years of ‘nix usage with nothing but white letters on black, but the new look is pretty… well, amateurish. Sort of like some beginner programmer would build because they haven’t learned to make the 3-d effect, yet.

And the color choices! Apparently, the programming cubicles at the infinite loop need to be shielded from the sun glare though the windows so they can see what they are actually color-picking.

It certainly does not cause a sensation of “Wow” the first time you see it. More of a “Blah.”

I agree 100%!

In terms of appearance they almost went back to the OS 9 look. Very dull. Very basic. Very Boring...

In terms of functionality, OS X 10.10 rocks! The new features are great and work great.

If anyone ever makes s new icon set plug-in for Yosemite they will make a million bucks.

I guess it could be worse. all the icons could be just black and white ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I don't have issue with the new look. My only question is why does the Doc need a background at all? Why can't my row of icons just be a row of icons on the bottom of the screen?

Anyone know of a way to "hide" that part of the Dock?

C

chas_m

I will simply say this: I rely on this machine for my living. So much so that I have a spare slightly-more-vintage Mac around at all times as backup hardware. There is no possible way I would upgrade to a new OS if it didn't work with my software, as I'd be out of a job. When testing Yosemite in beta, I put it on a separate drive from Mavericks so I could both troubleshoot and be sure to have one productive OS X I could count on.

During the beta process, I ran across some what for me would be "showstopper" issues with some programs breaking under Yosemite (a fair number of FTP programs, AIM, iMovie [of all things!] and so on).

As of Beta 6, I moved over to Yosemite full time for all my daily tasks. I have been there since. Apart from some minor programs and menubar items that need to update for Dark Mode (I'm looking at you, Radium!), this release is IMHO as solid as Mavericks was in its first release (people have very short -- and decidedly selective -- memories about this). Room for improvement? Yes. Good enough for production-level, mission-critical work? For me, yes (and I use a fairly wide array of apps). Stable? You bet.

I'm not saying other people haven't had issues. I'm saying I haven't seen them on this machine with the programs mentioned that I also use. Why? Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe my habit of routine maintenance, regular backups and (this last one hasn't been done yet due to travel) a clean install of a major OS upgrade has made a difference in my "luck." I have no doubt that some of the reports I've seen are clearly legitimate bugs in Yosemite, but either I don't run those programs, don't run them that way, or the problem just isn't reproducible on this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
What's with all the animosity towards Yosemite? IMO the UI looks fine to me. The simplistic style brings back nostalgic memories of Panther and Tiger but with less of a 3D effect.

15708449992_8b6c4b3a8b_h_d.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Everyone acts like the doc is new. Its the same one used for Left and Right positions for the past couple of releases. Just you can turn it black now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.