• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Old Imac don't work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
The office gave me an old Imac. When I start it, it make a beep and the start button keep flashing but the screen stay black and nothng appened. When I opened it there's no memories card in the 2 slots... my question is.. is the imac is dead or it is simply because there's no memory in it?.....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is a Ram slot under the CPU board also. It's a pain to get too. There could be one 32Meg there if it's a really old model iMac. Do you know what model it is at all? What color is the case? Does it have Firewire ports or just USB?

Another thing is this, if the PRAM Battery is Stone DEAD, I have had both my old iMacs blink the power lignt and not boot. New battery solved it.

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
It have firewire slots! and a cd tray without a tray...hope you understand what I mean! :))... But with the informations you gave to me...i think the imac is dead! :( especially that the screen stays black! what do you think?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try getting a new PRAM battery. Now I basically know what machine you have. Let me do some checking on the RAM slots on your machine. I will get back to you. I thought you had the really old one.

This URL is probably close to what you have. There are 2 RAM Slots that take PC100 SDRAM. If both are empty that is your problem. If not, like I said, if the PRAM battery is dead a lot of iMacs will not boot, black screen and blinking power light.

What color is the iMac? Also is there a model number on a label somewhere on the iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
sounds like the no ram problem is the issue. Luckily, it doesn't sound like the flyback transformer, becuase the lights at least turn on. did the imac come with a hard drive? Your imac is 350 -700 mhz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.