can't connect to wireless router

Reaction score
Whenever I try to connect to my wireless router it says "there was an error joining the network "network name"." This is the same messege that would show if the password was incorrect. It is an open network and I have the correct password. Does anyone know why I can't connect? My computer works on other networks, and other peoples computers work on this one.

Reaction score
have you tried updating the firmware? try it with the security measures off, and see if the problem persists. some routers really suck with security and stability, much less, functionality.

G

Gav_rdfc

I have this router and it works fine. Have you ever had it working?

Gavin

Reaction score
How is the router set up? Can your airport card see the network it's trying to connect to? If so, try turning off ALL security on the routers wireless side (ie no WEP or WPA) and ensure there is no mac address filtering (it'll be in there somewhere!) and ensure DHCP is working.

Also, can you plug your machine in via an ethernet cable to one of the ports and see if you can connect to the network that way? If you can connect via a cable that's something.

Now basically you need to try and connect to the router wirelessly with no encryption. If that works, try turning on the encryption on both the router and the mac.

A

airline1

I had this problem with a my previous router. What I did was reset the the router (should be a button on the back) and then after it had rebooted I connected the pc to the router via an ethernet cable. Then I set up the router from scratch.

S

Steve1

Same Problem

I have two PC laptops connected to a T-Com Sinus 1054 Wireless Router. They connected without trouble. (The Mac numbers are filtered). I have given the Airport address of my new iMac G5 into the Mac filter table but there is still no connection for the Mac. The G5 has WLAN listed as a found network.
It keeps asking for a password but shouldn't need one as it is now listed in the filter.
I suppose I could try 15 meters of ethernet cable or turn my filter (protection) off, but then why have a wireless network if I have to cable my Mac (but not my PC's)

Tried turning off the Mac filter and resetting the router but thr G5 is still asking for a password to access the WLAN???

The iMac used to be famous for it's child-like ease of internet connectivity.

S

Steve1

Nearly there

OK. Gave the WEP password and now have a WLAN connection (Signal 60%). But Safari tells me pages cannot be opened because I am not connected to the Internet?

S

Steve1

Goodness. After 2 hours I have a connection. The IP address was the problem. How to find it, etc. Easy was it not. My last PC connection took about 1 minute. Gave the Mac number. Said 'OK'. And 'Bingo'. We were in.

Reaction score
I take it you're not using DHCP then? Your MAC must be using (or was using) a static IP address. For a home network, that's not a good idea.

Glad it's working now

S

Steve1

Hi,
had no idea what DHCP was (is). Didn't know that I didn't need a password. Didn't know which 128 bit... etc. A bit more explaining what these terms mean would help.

Reaction score
Now I don't want to sound rude (Steve1), but pretty much every manual that comes with these bits of hardware explains how all this works. A little bit of research on your part would also help.

However, let me explain.
A network is a collection of computers or network capable devices, all connected to each other. Today, this connection is either through a switch with cat-5 (ethernet cable) (the ports on the back of your/most router) or wireless (which still acts as a router).

Each of these devices will have 2 things to identify it. A MAC address and an IP address. A MAC address is hard coded into your wireless or network card and doesn't change. Kind of like a chassis number on a car. The IP address is an address in the form of a number such as this 192.168.0.123 which also identifies your PC, but at a different "level" in the structure. Each machine on the network must have a unique IP and MAC. All MACs are unique but it's very easy to force a PC or Apple to use a specific IP address, called a static IP. If 2 machines on the same network have the same IP, one, or both won't work. Trying to remember all the numbers you gave your machines so you don't double up can be a real pain.

This is where DHCP comes in. It stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. What this does is every time a new device connects to a network, the device "calls out" and says "hello, I'm new here, can someone help me out", and the DHCP server (your router) will shout back "Hello, I'll help, here is all the information you need" and assigns the new device an IP address which is unique, and gives it the information to allow it to get out to the internet etc.

The wireless "password", or WEP/WPA key is required to enable you to secure your wireless network so that only those that know the password/key can get on. This is very handy. There isn't really a science to this. WEP is the old way of doing it, becaus eyou need to create a long string of numbers/letters as the key, which is a pain to type in. WPA is newer and allows you to use a "word", such as "RTFM" and this will create a dynamic key which is much more secure and all you need to do is type that word into any machine you want to connect.

So hopefully that'll help :)

S

Steve1

:eek:neye: Ouch!
That was great. You should add it to the Mac Help pages.

OK, IP I knew, Mac numbers I knew, how to find the Mac number I knew. The other bits DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), WEP/WPA were just strings of letters - Yes, yes, I know I could have searched, except I couldn't get online because I couldn't set up the router...:) - which were not explained in the manual for the router. I did RTFM, honest! (German Telecom FM).

Reaction score
Hehe, that's cool :) Obviously your manual is a bit sh*t, so we'll let you off :)

Maybe we've all learned something today :)

Reaction score
Hi.. i'm having the same problem connecting to my belkin via my powerbook.. when i put in my password for my 128-bit hex connection it tells me "Error joining network"..

When i remove the security from the router,, i can connect fine!.. any ideas please

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.