Shared Folder Issues NAS

Reaction score
Hello. We have a NAS device (LenovoEMC px4-400r) located on the same subnet as a few MAC users (iMAC Yosemite). Log on credentials are managed directly from the NAS device, no domain integration. iMACS are hard wired, gigabit connectivity. They are connecting to the shared folders with the AFP protocol. Often times when viewing the folder contents, some files and/or folders appear to simply disappear. Remounting the folder seems to correct the problem temporarily. We do not have any issues at all with Windows machines. Are there any settings on the MAC that may affect how the machine views shared folders? I am not a MAC guy, decades of tcpip networking and it management experience though. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
There have been some weird issues with Yosemite. One of the things I am reading is that Yosemite defaults to SMB3. It has the ability to use AFP as well as SMB2 but is initially set up for SMB3. Given the funny issues I have been having with Yosemite (see all the posts on mail issues), I have not upgraded our macs to Yosemite at work yet and your post may make me hold off longer.

I would recommend checking for any firmware/software updates from Lenovo. Some people are posting that Yosemite is picky and requires hardware that is up to date - read patched to work with it. Take a look at file sharing on the iMacs and try switching to SMB3???

Post back if you come up with a solution as I will be curious. I may go ahead and up date one of our MB Pro's that is not an essential unit just to get a feel for what you are experiencing. Our NAS is a Wester DIgital.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
Used SMB

Well, I disabled the AFP all together on the NAS device and reconnected the shares with SMB. Seems to be working fine now. Not really sure if it was a nas or mac issue or some combo there of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well, I disabled the AFP all together on the NAS device and reconnected the shares with SMB. Seems to be working fine now. Not really sure if it was a nas or mac issue or some combo there of.

Good to here! I just finished updating one MB Pro 2011 at work. I used CCC to clone it first before I "nuked and paved" and installed Yosemite. Took me a long time because I had to clone, install, then add back in software apps. I will check tomorrow to see what happens when I set up Time Machine to back up to the NAS.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.