I was given a non working Macbook Air Mid 2012 11"

Reaction score
I get back from work and grabbed dinner with my boss. During the conversation he tells me he bought a new MBA because the one he owned since 2012 stopped working. Hes not tech savvy so if it doesn't power on then he assumes its worthless. I ask if he'll give it to me rather than junking it and he agrees.

MBA Mid 2012 11"
A1465
8gb Ram
256 GB drive

From what I got he spilled a protein shake on the keyboard in 2013. He managed to clean most of it up but the keyboard was rendered useless. However, he purchased an USB keyboard and have been using it ever since the incident. He's never powered off the MBA since the incident.

3 weeks ago he thought it would be great to take his MBA outside to his patio but he didn't bring his charger. The weather was a bit foggy and he left his MBA to run an errand but he was delayed and the battery was left to run down until it turned off. Now he can't turn it on. Therefore he assumes its a waste and purchased a new MBA.

I found tutorials online and youtube on "how to turn on your macbook without the power button" It involves opening the bottom cover and "short circuiting" at two solder points referred to as "power on pads" on the logicboard using a flat head screw driver.

The tutorials only shows MBA Late 2010 or Mid 2011 but I cant find anything for the MBA mid 2012 model. I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this is frowned upon but would it ok if I upload photos and ask you guys to pinpoint the location?

Turning on MacBook Pro without power button >> Inside my laptop

How to Start MacBook Air without Power button - YouTube

If it works then I only have to replace the keyboard but if it doesn't then its the logicboard and keyboard, in which case it wouldn't be worth it and I would probably sell it for parts.

Thank you O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No good news I think with spills and moisture.

OP
A
Reaction score
a user has already replied on my ifixit thread. Thank you for your feedback. Looks like its just my keyboard that has issues. So I will only have to replace my keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.