Macbook 13 and 17 Hardware problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Mac Pro w/ 6 core Xeon running OS 10.10
Hi, Guys I need some help..

I have two macbook pros; one is a mid-2010 (A1278) MBP 13 and the other is a Mid-2011 (A1297)

The problems are as follows:

MBP 13: The LCD backlight won't light but the screen works, and the SATA HDD is intermittently detected by MBP. Everything else functions.

MBP 17: The computer had slight liquid damage, the keyboard and trackpad was heavily damaged so I replaced both parts with the correct parts. (the old keyboard didn't work at all and the broken trackpad functioned even though it was cracked.) the new keyboard doesn't work at all in OS but occasionally does in the boot screen. The trackpad doesn't function at all.

Apple Hardware tests came back with no detected issues or problems.

I have reset the SMC and the NVRAM settings multiple times (still no change)

Any Ideas??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's always nice to know the history of a computer. Did you purchase these two computers brand new or used...and at one time they worked 100%? Or are these two computers that you purchased broken...and are trying to bring back to life?

MBP 13: The LCD backlight won't light but the screen works, and the SATA HDD is intermittently detected by MBP. Everything else functions.

If I got the model right...this 13" 2010 MBP has an LED display. So it wouldn't have a backlight in the same sense as earlier non-LED displays (thus fewer parts to go bad). My thoughts are a bad or worn video cable (or maybe even a loose connection).

What happens if you try to use an external display?

As far as the hard drive. Could be a dying hard drive, bad SATA cable, or loose connection. What happens if you try to boot the computer from a bootable external hard drive?

MBP 17: The computer had slight liquid damage, the keyboard and trackpad was heavily damaged so I replaced both parts with the correct parts. (the old keyboard didn't work at all and the broken trackpad functioned even though it was cracked.) the new keyboard doesn't work at all in OS but occasionally does in the boot screen. The trackpad doesn't function at all.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "dlight liquid damaged" computer!;) The fact that a replacement keyboard and a repalcement trackpad are still not working means that something more serious is at fault. Many times this is a damaged logic board...which of course is not a "slight" problem.

What happens if you try to use an external keyboard & mouse?

- Nick

p.s. As you can see. Some of the suggestions involve external equipment. Using external devices can many times help with troubleshooting internal problems (narrow things down).:)

OP
DrDandroid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They were both purchased damaged. on the MBP 13, the entire screen was replaced and the same backlight issue is the same. When using it with external monitor it works fine. I haven't tried using a new MBP video cable but the monitor had backlight one day then I shut it down and the backlight ceased. if I hold a flashlight to the screen you can see the video but no backlight.

as far as the hard drive problem, it boots from flash and External perfectly.

as for the MBP 17, the computer was liquid damaged, the keys and trackpad were smashed by a 3 year old. coke was the liquid culprit. the battery charges, the magsafe works, all the ports, the display works, it works with external keyboards and mice. the only thing not functioning properly is the Keyboard and trackpad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you can imagine...purchasing damaged/non-working computers can be pretty risky. Of course if you get them for a ridiculously low price...sometimes the risk is worth it...since sometimes the problem is a simple fix.

So damaged computers many times have unknown history's...in terms of how the computer EXACTLY got damaged.

They were both purchased damaged. on the MBP 13, the entire screen was replaced and the same backlight issue is the same. When using it with external monitor it works fine. I haven't tried using a new MBP video cable but the monitor had backlight one day then I shut it down and the backlight ceased. if I hold a flashlight to the screen you can see the video but no backlight.

If you got some backlight...it would seem like something is loose or not making contact 100% of the time. Which could mean a bad/worn cable (not unheard of). Who knows...if it is the cable...maybe the original display is still good.:)

as far as the hard drive problem, it boots from flash and External perfectly.

If the computer boots fine from external devices...at least we know that the computer is functioning ok (logic board stuff)...other than the HD. So it still could be a dying HD, loose cable, or bad HD cable. You could try swapping the internal HD with a good one.

If it works...then the old HD is bad. If the computer still doesn't work with a known good HD...could still be the cable.

as for the MBP 17, the computer was liquid damaged, the keys and trackpad were smashed by a 3 year old. coke was the liquid culprit. the battery charges, the magsafe works, all the ports, the display works, it works with external keyboards and mice. the only thing not functioning properly is the Keyboard and trackpad.

The liquid damage could have been specific to the electronics on the logic board that controls the keyboard & trackpad. Unfortunately a bad logic board is still a bad logic board...even if only the keyboard & trackpad don't work.

And of course you swapped in good parts...so you know that it's not the keyboard or trackpad themselves. Could be bad cables (but probably not two at the same time);)...thus something with the logic board (most likely)

- Nick

OP
DrDandroid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm praying that its only cables on the MBP 13, I heard that the WLED fuse blows on this logic board model.

and on the MBP 17, If I have to use it as a clamshell I will.. the logic board on this model is crazy expensive even used. I have the i7 board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm praying that its only cables on the MBP 13, I heard that the WLED fuse blows on this logic board model.

The unfortunate part with DIY repairs is...unless you have exact spare parts to swap in...you still have to spend some cash on a replacement cable. Which may or may not be the cure. Ya never know till we try.;)

and on the MBP 17, If I have to use it as a clamshell I will.. the logic board on this model is crazy expensive even used. I have the i7 board.

Yes...in most situations...if a replacement logic board is needed...then it is not worth it. But in this case (with a liquid spill)...it's very very lucky that the computer works/functions (except for the keybpard & trackpad). As you mentioned...it sounds like it can still operate in clamshell mode.:) Which sort of makes it a desktop computer of sorts!;)

- Nick

OP
DrDandroid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll keep you posted. Add me as a friend.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.