Transparency

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD
So are all the dropdown menus, action menus, etc, supposed to be semi-transparant? Mine aren't at all. I have yet to come across a menu that was even partially see through in Yosemite.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Display. Make sure "Reduce Transparency" isn't checked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, it appears if you've chosen the "use dark menu bar and Dock" in the General preferences, it reduces transparency somewhat.

OP
drumvudu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, Niether one of those apply. That's why I don't get it. I have no transparancy in anything other than the color that comes through in the tops of toolbars. Why would that be?

M

MacInWin

That IS the transparency, at least it's all that I have seen. The actual window contents are not transparent.

OP
drumvudu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That IS the transparency, at least it's all that I have seen. The actual window contents are not transparent.

I figured it out. The toolbars are not the only transparency. I was specifically referring to dropdown menus ( like when you two finger click and a menu appears) that are all supposed to be see through. I have seen many screenshots that show those transparent. Well, It turns out that mine are too. Just not nearly as transparent as a brand new Retina display does. I have to put a menu over a really bold contrasting color to even tell that its got any transparency. The screenshots I have seen are very pretty and much more transparent than what i have. Here's a clip of mine with as much contrast as possible (i.e. black and white)

[IMG)

Here is a comparison:
transparency by drumvudu,

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, Niether one of those apply. That's why I don't get it. I have no transparancy in anything other than the color that comes through in the tops of toolbars. Why would that be?
That is the "transparency." It's called vibrancy by Apple and it's a combination of transparency and blurring which creates that bleeding through of the contents behind a toolbar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.