Broadwell worth waiting for on the new retina iMac?

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to get the 27" Retina iMac (since my macbook pro of 8yrs died). I'm kinda hanging out for the broadwell chip but just wanted to know other people's thoughts. It will be more power efficient so over say 5 or 10 years (if i keep it for that long) will work out to save me some $$.

can be overclocked to a higher clock speed too i believe. On the apple website it states the overclock speed. So does this mean it comes overclocked? or i have to get it done somewhere else?

thanks for any comments.
mav.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm definitely going to get the 27" Retina iMac (since my macbook pro of 8yrs died). I'm kinda hanging out for the broadwell chip but just wanted to know other people's thoughts. It will be more power efficient so over say 5 or 10 years (if i keep it for that long) will work out to save me some $$.

can be overclocked to a higher clock speed too i believe. On the apple website it states the overclock speed. So does this mean it comes overclocked? or i have to get it done somewhere else?

Overclocked? Who overclocks Macs? Apple certainly doesn't, at least not that I've ever heard. And you are aware that they JUST released the Retina iMac, which means a refresh is likely a year or more away, right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm definitely going to get the 27" Retina iMac (since my macbook pro of 8yrs died).

Doesn't this say it all? DEFINITELY means definitely right?;)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
On the apple website it states the overclock speed. So does this mean it comes overclocked? or i have to get it done somewhere else?

I think you might be confusing this with Turbo Boost which is more about the processor scaling the speed up only when you're pushing the processor to its limits. This is dynamic as well so once you're done, the processor scales back to its regular clock speed. You have no control over this.

OP
mav5125
Reaction score
I think you might be confusing this with Turbo Boost which is more about the processor scaling the speed up only when you're pushing the processor to its limits. This is dynamic as well so once you're done, the processor scales back to its regular clock speed. You have no control over this.

oic... thanks that makes more sense.

C

chas_m

Van is 100 percent correct. That's not an overclocking at all, it's done in the name of power efficiency (since, let's face it, few users push their systems very hard 95 percent of the time. Your computer spends far more time idle waiting for you to push a key or something than it ever does going flat-out*

*unless you're a hard-core gamer, I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
I'm definitely going to get the 27" Retina iMac...can be overclocked to a higher clock speed too i believe. On the apple website it states the overclock speed. So does this mean it comes over clocked?...

Intel's Turbo Boost is sometimes called "dynamic overclocking". It is a built-in feature that increases the clock rate over the base spec whoever the CPU is *not* thermally or electrically over-stressed.

As you push the CPU harder with a multi-threaded load, the the dynamic overclock will back off to maintain thermal margins.

So yes in this sense it is a type of factory overclock. However the term "overclock" typically refers to a static, fixed increase in clock rate over the spec. Although the built-in Turbo Boost accomplishes a similar result (to a degree), it is not a static overclock and we normally would not describe it as "factory overclocked".

A retina iMac is vastly faster than your old system so you will enjoy it no matter how it is configured.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.