iWeb - Meta Tags, Site Name, Google

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Hey guys,

So as soon as I got iLife I was excited to play with iWeb and I was totally impressed (except for the png MASSIVE images, but thats an issue I hope they are workign on).

My question has to do with naming the site so it makes sense in google as well as inserting meta tags.

I understand there is no way at inserting meta tags using iWeb. I am not the most experienced web designer, but I know the importants of these for google and such.

Question #1 - Is the only way to do this to use another program (i.e dreamweaver and manually enter them). And once you do that and you make changes and publish your site again in iWeb are they all gone again?

Question #2 - It seems that google lists the name of your site as "HOME" or whatever you call your first page. Is there no way to change this? My site now looks terrible to google.

Again, I am not an expert web designer by anymeans. So any help would be great.

Here is my site: www.isx.ca

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
iWeb isnt meant for what you want to use it for, its meant for normal people to publish and make their own website easily so arent bothered about the stuff you mention.

TBH wouldnt you be better learning Dreamweaver and copying the design templates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
If you go to the iWeb forums inside Apple's Support section you may find what you need. I read someting about all those, from editing and adding the keywords, simple submission to Google or creating dummy pages.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Great, thanks for your replies guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Macbook Pro; 20" 2.0 GHz iMac.
Can't you use the html snippet in iWeb 08?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" matte screen MBP 2.6GHz - 7200RPM 200G
iWeb isnt meant for what you want to use it for, its meant for normal people to publish and make their own website easily so arent bothered about the stuff you mention.

TBH wouldnt you be better learning Dreamweaver and copying the design templates?

Nowhere (other than your post) have I read that iWeb was not meant for serious web publishing. If you have documentation to that end - please supply links.
Thanks!

Reaction score
myra, our website needs to have the meta tags , key words added, where do you think I can find the information about dummy pages or whatever is necessary to add this HTML to the site

Reaction score
If you go to the iWeb forums inside Apple's Support section you may find what you need. I read someting about all those, from editing and adding the keywords, simple submission to Google or creating dummy pages.
myra, our website needs to have the meta tags , key words added, where do you think I can find the information about dummy pages or whatever is necessary to add this HTML to the site

Reaction score
Actually you can edit the iWeb created web site directly. When you publish them to MobileMe, the files are stored in your iDisk. Navigate to "iDisk"/Web/Sites/ and you'll find the web site you created. You can edit the html files directly and add whatever meta tags you like.

I wanted to hide my sites from search engines so I added a robots.txt file to the web site root to ensure it would be ignored. It's a family pictures site so I don't want it showing up in search results.

The contents of the robots file is:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

Reaction score
Steve, so after I edit the HTML in iDisk, the next time the published site is viewed, will it be the edited version?

Reaction score
iWeb SEO Tool

I know this is an old thread, but I spent hours making my site in iWeb and was almost sick when I realized there was no way to insert my own meta tags and page titles so I google for awhile and found this excellent tool: iWeb SEO Tools

This tool offers an easy to use interface for adding titles, meta tags, and keywords to your pages. You can also add alternate text for images. And you can then upload your files directly to idisk or your hosted server directly from the application. Later when you make changes to your pages in iWeb, you can simply open iWeb SEO Tools and click "Re-Apply" and all your previously entered meta data is restored. Fantastic program!

Reaction score
I tried but it didn't stick....

iWeb SEO Tools

This tool offers an easy to use interface for adding titles, meta tags, and keywords to your pages. You can also add alternate text for images. And you can then upload your files directly to idisk or your hosted server directly from the application. Later when you make changes to your pages in iWeb, you can simply open iWeb SEO Tools and click "Re-Apply" and all your previously entered meta data is restored. Fantastic program!

I tried this and I don't see where the meta tag or the titles being saved or stored.

I will try this again but I don't see the meta tag I entered using iWeb SEO Tool saved or stored. Apple Rep percisely stated this software is for personal use and not commercial...

I DON'T SEE why he stated that. Apple bragged about adding and making it easy to add google ads on your iweb pages and make some cash. Now, SEO can't even find my meta tags, keywords, description, or titles. I can't build any traffic to make money using google adsense [not sure if you understand this but i am upset with apple] if they can't find me.:Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with the SOE Tools/finding my files?

I made a web site and open the SEO tools app and thought I pointed it to my web sites folder in MySites/websitename folder. I found that my files are not there and I can't find the .html files on the hard drive anywhere.

Where are they stored? I should have a Home, Services, About, Contact, and PhotoResume pages but can't find them. I do see the About folder in the MySites/websitename folder but no others.

Reaction score
I figured it out, publish to a local file them use the SEO tool.

Now how long does it take for the search engines to see it?

Reaction score
Changing title tags

When I viewed the source code for my website (already published) I noticed that the title tags contained the words "Home", "Books", "About Us", etc - basically the names I had given each of my pages. So I tried changing the title of each page on iWeb (just right click and rename) to something that added value to my site and it works!
Haven't figured out how to do the description tag yet.

C

chas_m

Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Reaction score
Meta tags, description; iWeb

It's been a while since anyone has posted here - have you figured out how to see the code/add meta tags/etc. to the iWeb?

I used Frontpage and loved it, upgraded to Dreamweaver and hate it, and realize I should have used iWeb all along because it's so simple - except I don't get how to do any coding.

I'm a writer, not a webmaster!

Thank you.

Teraisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.