iPhoto Libraries

Reaction score
Somehow I have two iPhoto libraries both called 'iPhoto Library'. I must have created an extra library but I can't remember doing it or why.

One I thought was my iPhoto library with about 80 Gb of photos and videos and a the other a second, empty, library.

My iMac tells me that the empty library is the one that appears in Finder>Pictures>iPhoto Library. Also Time Machine backs up the empty library.

How can I get back to just one library with all my photos and videos in it that I can find via Finder>Pictures>iPhoto Library and is backed up by Time Machine?

My iMax OS runs Mavericks 10.9.5 and iPhoto is Version 9.5.1

Any help would be much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're doing a "full" backup with Time Machine, then it's backing up your photos wherever they're located. What is the full path of this other photo library that you say contains 80 GB of photos?

When you open iPhoto it's going to display the photos that are in:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Following your pointers I think I have found, at least a part solution.

For clarity I have renamed the libraries so I know which is which.
The library containing 80Gb of photos is iPhoto Library 1
The empty one is iPhoto Library 2.

Macintosh HD/iPhoto Library 1>Open>Opens IPhoto Library 1
Macintosh HD/Users/My User Name/Pictures/iPhoto Library 2>Open>Opens iPhoto Library 2

Finder/Time Machine Backup/My iMac/Latest/Macintosh HD/iPhoto Library>Open>Opens Terminal Text
'Last login: Fri Oct 24 15:42:17 on ttys001
jacks-imac:iPhoto Library jacktowl$'

Finder/Time Machine Backup/My iMac/Latest/Macintosh HD/iPhoto Library>Show Package Contents> shows a load of items, one of which is 'Masters', size 80 Gb, containing photos in folders by year. These are presumably the contents of iPhoto Library 1.

Entering Time Machine/Photo Library tells me that iPhoto 1 is there with a size of 100+Gb. so I now know, I think, that all my photos are backed up which is great.

Can I now simply drag iPhoto 2 from Macintosh HD/Users/My User Name/Pictures/iPhoto Library 2 to the trash to revert to iPhoto Library 1 only?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can I now simply drag iPhoto 2 from Macintosh HD/Users/My User Name/Pictures/iPhoto Library 2 to the trash to revert to iPhoto Library 1 only?

Yes, based on your reply above you should be able to remove iPhoto Library 2. However, for safety sake, do not empty the Trash yet but go back and double check to make sure iPhoto Library 1 is intact with your photos. If everything looks OK, you can empty the Trash.

OP
W
Reaction score
Perfect. Unwanted iPhoto Library 2 trashed. iPhoto Library 1 remains complete.

Thanks a lot for your help. Much obliged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.