Help! Late 2011 MBP Randomly Turns Off!

Reaction score
First off, I apologize in advance, I'm not tech savvy.

I purchased my Late 2011 MBP from eBay about a week ago. The seller listed it as used but in perfect working condition (just used it for school and stuff.)

Well, I got the computer. Played around with it. Within about an hour or two of just normal usage, it randomly turned off. At first, I thought I had accidentally brushed the power button. I waited a second, then turned it back on. It booted up and went right back to where I was before it crashed. This has been happening now, very randomly, for about a week. At first, I thought it was a battery issue. But it happens when plugged into MagSafe and unplugged. I also thought it might be overheating but I can power it right back up after it shuts off. It's entirely random. I read on other forums that sometimes the SMC gets wonky. So I reset it but again it turned off later that evening. I did notice Apple put out a Firmware update for a similar issue that was happening to this model years ago. But my current firmware is 1.6 and the Apple suggested update was 1.4. Can you go back in firmware? Again, I apologize if thats a silly question, I'm somewhat technically challenged. I'm thinking about resetting my PRAM but that sounds so intimidating.

Before I take it to Apple, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I purchased my Late 2011 MBP from eBay about a week ago. The seller listed it as used but in perfect working condition (just used it for school and stuff.)

How did you pay for it? Hopefully, you used PayPal. I would contact the seller and talk with him or her to find out what's going on with the MBP you purchased. Obviously it is not in "perfect working condition". Random shutting down is a difficult problem to trouble shoot which is why I suspect the seller sold it on eBay. You might want to think about returning it and getting your money back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.