Repair water damaged 15 inch Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi,

My friend spilled her coffee on my macbook pro and some of the keys arent working. I was just wondering if i could buy the part and replace the key board. Also if theyre any good places to buy parts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ebay, ifixit.com, powerbookmedic.com

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My friend spilled her coffee on my macbook pro and some of the keys arent working. I was just wondering if i could buy the part and replace the key board. Also if theyre any good places to buy parts?

Well, just curious what you did when the spill occurred? Does the machine still work? Usually liquid spills are permanent disasters, so please let us know - meanwhile there is a sticky HERE that will be of interest - good luck! Dave :)

OP
N
Reaction score
She spilled tea on the keyboard. The computer seems to be working fine, it turns on just the keyboard malfunctions and sometimes like mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
She spilled tea on the keyboard. The computer seems to be working fine, it turns on just the keyboard malfunctions and sometimes like mouse.

Well, you may have been lucky - check Nick's reference to iFixit for your MBPro model and a guide that may relate to the keyboard - likely a daunting task, so you may want to obtain some professional advice from the Apple Genius Bar or a qualified Apple repair shop - good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not rush in to buy parts. Sadly another week or so it may turn its toes up. Tea contains tannic acid which can be absolutely fatal to the logic board over time.

Fingers crossed.

C

chas_m

Title of the thread says water -- first post says coffee -- second post says tea. Very different, and can do very different sorts of damage. Can you give us a straight story on what actually happened so we can offer the best possible advice?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Title of the thread says water -- first post says coffee -- second post says tea. Very different, and can do very different sorts of damage.

Nice catch!:) Not a very consistent story.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.